VMware Communities
jdb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy, paste, drag and drop not working in VMware Workstation 15 Pro with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon x64

Hello. I have an Alienware 17 R5 laptop with Windows 10 Pro x64 installed. I recently installed VMware Workstation 15 Pro and then I installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon x64 as a new VM. Everything is fine and shared folders work, but, both copy and paste and drag and drop do not work, no matter the direction ( ie. to/from guest/host ).

I'm using VMware Workstation 15 Pro version 15.0.2 build 10952284 and I have the latest, I believe, VMware Tools installed with a version of 10.3.2-9925305.

In the VM's setting under "Guest isolation" I have both "drag and drop" and "copy and paste" checked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jdb2

4 Replies
hawkinsst7
Contributor
Contributor

Had this issue with Kali and Debian. After a day and a half, while downloading an ISO for Ubuntu just to try, I found that open-vm-tools isn't enough for clipboard operations, apparently. You also need open-vm-tools-desktop, which is NOT included in the default VM image. I wouldn't be surprised if Mint running in a VM is similar.

# apt install open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-desktop

For the sake of future searchers, let me know if that worked.

xkcd: Wisdom of the Ancients

RaphaelS23
Contributor
Contributor

This works, Thank you very much.

I tried so much to get this working.

0 Kudos
yahooSHUA
Contributor
Contributor

It worked for me on Kali 2019.3 for VMWare 15.5.1 build-15018445

0 Kudos
jasonsenior
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work for me. Already had it installed.

0 Kudos