VMware Cloud Community
DZ1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Conditional HTML tag for my PowerCLI report

I'm trying to create a conditional tag in my PowerShell/PowerCLI report.  I feel as though I'm missing something very simple.  I have reports with CSS and they come out correct, so I have an IF statement with an ID of 'Red' and I have the CSS color the background Red.  I'm certain that my CSS is not the problem, because I've used it for years, but the way I try and add the tag is causing problems (I think).  Here is what I have:

$css = (gc C:\MyCSS.css)

#$allVMs = Get-VM

$AllReport = @()

$allVMs | where { $_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOn" -and ($_ | Get-HardDisk).StorageFormat -ne "Thin" } | Sort Name | foreach {

$vm = $_

$disktype = ($vm | Get-HardDisk | select -ExpandProperty StorageFormat)

$report = '' | Select Name, Disktype

$report.Name = $vm.Name

$report.Disktype = If ($disktype -ne 'Thin') { ("<a id='Red'>" + $disktype + "</a>") } #I"m sure this is the problem

$allreport += $report

}

$allreport | ConvertTo-Html -Head "<style>$css</style>" -Body @"

<p><a id='Red'>This</a> is a test </p>

"@ | Out-File C:\MyOutput\Report.html

To make sure I had the CSS correct, I gave the word "This" the id tag of Red, and in my report its background color is red.  The problem is that the line that starts with $report.Disktype.  The tag is added, sort of.  When I look at the html, it shows this <tr><td>VMname</td><td>&lt;a id=&#39;Red&#39;&gt;EagerZeroedThick&lt;/a&gt;</td></tr>

The HTML for the word "This" with the id of Red shows this for its HTML:

<p><a id='Red'>This</a> is a test </p>

I think it has something to do with the quotes, so I've tried making the double quotes single, and the singles double, I also tried using a subexpression, but that didn't work.  I also attached the HTML reports appearance, it shows the same in Firefox or Chrome.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You might want to have a look at Re: Generate HTML Report with cell colors

I used the style attribute on the <p> tag.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You might want to have a look at Re: Generate HTML Report with cell colors

I used the style attribute on the <p> tag.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
DZ1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you, it was piping the data to Out-String, then the foreach to replace the "&lt;" and other characters.  I thought I could somehow make the change as part of the way I input the HTML tags in quotes, but after I made the change, it works now.  Thank you so much.  You're a one man PowerEverything tutorial.

0 Kudos