VMware Cloud Community
rxjoseph
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSAN health test fails on Performance Service (2150589) --> Powercli to restart vsanmgmtd & vsanvpd services

The causes for this error is unknown but there are two fixes available to this issue,

1)  Restarting the vsanmgmtd and vsanvpd service on all the ESXi hosts in the vSAN Cluster.  There is no impact of restarting these two services on the ESXi,

/etc/init.d/vsanmgmtd  restart

/etc/init.d/vsanvpd restart

Can someone help me to get a script in powercli to restart the two services

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello rxjoseph​,

From my previous experiences with attempting similar (for fun/education) and LucD corroboration in posts such as this PowerCli Script to restart vSAN mgmt and vpd services on all ESXi in VC - unfortunately this isn't in the plain realm of 'Get-VMHostService' PowerCli calls and thus you would likely need something that would SSH to each host and run the commands locally (e.g. /etc/init.d/vsanmgmtd restart).

Additionally, based on my experience troubleshooting vSAN/ESXi (for 3+ years professionally) I would always advise (if possible) integrating some form of basic checks as to whether the service was successfully stopped before being restarted or are you just dumping more non-functional processes on top of the hung ones e.g. #ps | grep <servicename> and/or note the process IDs, then stop the service and again check ps for the process IDs etc. - if all gone after stopping the service then starting the service should be fine, but if they are not killed then you have a problem and "/etc/init.d/vsanmgmtd status" will still say 'running' but that daemon may be hung and non-responsive.

Maybe try asking in PowerCli sub-community and/or moving this question there would be a good call.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello rxjoseph​,

From my previous experiences with attempting similar (for fun/education) and LucD corroboration in posts such as this PowerCli Script to restart vSAN mgmt and vpd services on all ESXi in VC - unfortunately this isn't in the plain realm of 'Get-VMHostService' PowerCli calls and thus you would likely need something that would SSH to each host and run the commands locally (e.g. /etc/init.d/vsanmgmtd restart).

Additionally, based on my experience troubleshooting vSAN/ESXi (for 3+ years professionally) I would always advise (if possible) integrating some form of basic checks as to whether the service was successfully stopped before being restarted or are you just dumping more non-functional processes on top of the hung ones e.g. #ps | grep <servicename> and/or note the process IDs, then stop the service and again check ps for the process IDs etc. - if all gone after stopping the service then starting the service should be fine, but if they are not killed then you have a problem and "/etc/init.d/vsanmgmtd status" will still say 'running' but that daemon may be hung and non-responsive.

Maybe try asking in PowerCli sub-community and/or moving this question there would be a good call.

Bob

0 Kudos
rxjoseph
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Bob for your reply. I will take your recommendations on board

Many thanks

Rosh

0 Kudos