VMware Cloud Community
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hypervisor 6.7U Licensing with 2 physical cpu

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to assign hypervisor 6.7u license to host with 2 cpu sockets and get the following message:

"This host has more sockets (2) than the provided license is valid for (1), please provide a different license"

On the hypervisor page I see "Recommended minimum: dual socket with four or more cores per CPU"

Any idea how to generate the appropriate hypervisor license?

Thank You!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just the verify that it's not related the the latest ESXi build, I created a new 2 socket ESXi VM, updated it to the latest available build, and tried to apply my license key, which worked perfectly.

Unless VMware changed this intentionally, I'd consider this a bug. What you may do is to login to your MyVMware account and open a licensing support call. Maybe they can help you, or at least forward that to the responsible team.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

this error message indicates that you are trying to assign a paid license key to a host, but the license key doesn't have the required capacity to license all sockets in the host.

What you need to do, is to combine licenses in your MyVMware portal, so that the key covers all sockets.

André

0 Kudos
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using Hypervisor (free) version 6.7U, it's not a paid version.

In MyVmware portal I don't see any keys to combine since its free version.

Thanks!

YP

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's unusual. AFAIK the free Hypervisor has never been limited to a single socket.

I assume that you have only this single license key, and it's the one that you received when registering for the Hypervisor!?

Is this a fresh installation, i.e. not a trial in which feature may have been activated which are not available in the free edition?

André

0 Kudos
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correct. this is a single license key which I obtained when registering for Hypervisor.

Yes, this is about fresh installation and not trial registration.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for your help!

YP

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please check what https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/license-key-tracker/ reports for the license key.

André

0 Kudos
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is what I see:

vmh_lic_track.JPG

What do you think?

Thanks!

YP

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Clicking on the serial number should bring you to the properties page.

André

0 Kudos
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here it is...

vmh_lic_track.JPG

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's interesting. My license key reports Quantity = 0.

Did you have to enter a quantity when you registered for the key?

What you may try, is to register for another license using a different email address.

André

0 Kudos
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, there is no quantity option when I register for hypervisor.

I tested now using a different email address and I got the same error message.

Any other idea?

Thank You!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just the verify that it's not related the the latest ESXi build, I created a new 2 socket ESXi VM, updated it to the latest available build, and tried to apply my license key, which worked perfectly.

Unless VMware changed this intentionally, I'd consider this a bug. What you may do is to login to your MyVMware account and open a licensing support call. Maybe they can help you, or at least forward that to the responsible team.

André

0 Kudos
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just created a support request, let's wait and see if they have any clue.

I will update soon.

Thank you so much Andre!

YP

0 Kudos
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

Thank you so much for the time you spent to help me!

Since I'm using HPE custom image, it might be that the standard free license is not compatible.

So they gave me 2 options:

1. They provided a key which is valid for about 3 years.

2. To be able to apply the free hypervisor license, they asked to use the original VMware hypervisor binaries (instead of HPE custom image).

Thanks again for your help!

YP

0 Kudos
mk0000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same problem. When I try to assign the license I get this message:

This host has more sockets (2) than the provided license is valid for (1), please provide a different license.

I have tried it with ESXi 6.7 HPE image and ESXI 6.7 original image.

Both showed the same error message on asigning license.

My license was also created on 2018-12-20 so it seems to be a systematic error on license key creation (restricted on 1 socket instead of unlimited sockets)

/Markus

0 Kudos
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Markus,

Now its confusing, the support engineer have told that it might be because of the HPE custom image and recommended to reinstall with the original 6.7 image.

Try to get from them a new key as I did... If you find a real solution, please post it here.

Thank You,

YP

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since I'm using HPE custom image, it might be that the standard free license is not compatible.

Definitely not. I have several customers with all kind of hardware, i.e. customized vendor images, and there's never been an issue like this with the free Hypervisor edition.

Anyway, I'm glad that VMware found a customer friendly solution for you with the provided license.

mk0000

Maybe you should also open a support call, and point them to this thread. I'm almost sure that there's an issue with generating the free Hypervisor license keys.

André

0 Kudos
mk0000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have already opened a support call and will post here when I have something to share.

0 Kudos
hackish
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just wanted to add a data point to the discussion. I have just done an install today and encountered exactly the same problem as is being reported here. It is a Hypervisor free license and it's showing: This host has more sockets (2) than the provided license is valid for (1), please provide a different license.

0 Kudos
ypvmtech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you confirm what image type? original binaries or HPE custom image? or?

Thanks,

YP

0 Kudos