VMware Cloud Community
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How can I block ESXi about internet connection?

Hello.

I don't like my ESXi host see the internet but VMs can. How can I block ESXi host?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It depends on your network.

The easiest way would be to remove the default gateway from the host's settings, but this may not an option in a corporate network.

Another option would be to block the hosts vmkernel network on your firewall.

André

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Normally you would do this on a networking level. You have a management network for ESXi, that VLAN usually shouldn't be allowed to go outside.

0 Kudos
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How? Can you show me a tutorial about it?

0 Kudos
tyilmaz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

If you have a firewall in your environment just go there and block ESXi management IP this is the address which resides on vmk0.

And if your VMs uses same subnet with mgmt subnet is. then do not block all subnet.

And if you remove gateway ip of vmk0. Your mgmt packets cannot span between vlans. So that the best option is do it on firewall.

0 Kudos
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can it cause any problem for VMs?

0 Kudos
nivs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

On Esxi - Remove the nameserver from /etc/resolv.conf file to Block Internet Connectivity

and On Vm - You can add DNS Record

0 Kudos
tyilmaz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

unfortunately it will not block internet connectivity. That will only stop ESXi hosts to resolve FQDNs and if environment deployed with fqdns thats not good.

As said earlier use different subnets for management and vm traffic and block egress traffic from management

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Such as other experts mentioned, this operation highly depends on your network structure. For example in the most basic environment, you can remove the default gateway from the VMKernel port that handles the ESXi management traffic, of course, IF it didn't cause losing host connectivity! If you have VLANs in your network, you can restrict internet connectivity for the ESXi host management VLAN (If the hosts have a separate VLAN ID in your planning). BTW consider this matter: Changing the VMKernel IP settings for any VMK interfaces, will never interrupting virtual machines networking, even you lost the host connection while modification some settings until you don't change the VM's port groups, they still have their connections.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by simply learn basics about iptables, set up a small virtual machine and define it as default gateway which blocks outbound forwarding from whatever sources you ant

0 Kudos