VMware Cloud Community
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VCSA New MAC Address

Is it a problem to give my VCSA a new mac address after cloning, instead of reassigning the original mac?

Yesterday, I migrated hosts to a new vcenter in a new vlan. I had created the new vcenter in a test cluster that does not share storage with the production cluster. Today I cloned the vcsa to a production datastore and tried to set the Mac address to match the old vcsa per this postMove vCenter to another cluster....how?  and a couple of others like it, but I got an error message like this:

00:50:56:XX:YY:ZZ is not a valid static Ethernet address. It conflicts with VMware reserved MACs for other usage.

I had powered off the old VCSA and removed from inventory first. I went ahead and used the 00:50:56 prefix along with the last 3 octets of my old one. I was able to power it up and everything looks fine as far as I can tell, but I wanted to make sure there isn't some problem waiting to rear its ugly head since the recommendation was to use the old one.

Have I potentially ripped a hole in the time-space continuum?

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies