VMware Cloud Community
LaxmiRagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to send HTML content with dynamic value in the form of Table

Hi There,

I want to send an email notification from vro action/workflow with dynamic HTML content.

For example, I have a json object which contains an array of objects now I want to convert this json into HTML table.

Reference:  Convert JSON Data Dynamically to HTML Table using JavaScript - Dynamically Create table with rows in...

the above link will demonstrate converting json into HTML table dynamically.

Can anyone please help me out to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

Laxmi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

At reference link you provided in the first post, there is almost a complete implementation of how to process the JSON object to create HTML - check the body of the function CreateTableFromJSON there. The only problem is that it uses DOM document to save the output HTML, which would not work for vRO as there is no DOM.

So instead you need to build a normal string containing the whole HTML, following the HTML table format. Check, for example, https://html.com/tables/  to see how the structure of HTML table looks like.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Do you need help with converting your JSON object to HTML table, or with sending the HTML table in an email?

If the former, then could you provide a sample showing what your JSON object looks like?

0 Kudos
LaxmiRagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ilian Iliev,

Thank you for quick your response, here is my task.

Step#1: I need to call rest API which will give json response like below:

[

{

"Book ID": "1",

"Book Name": "Computer Architecture",

"Category": "Computers",

"Price": "125.60"

},

{

"Book ID": "2",

"Book Name": "Asp.Net 4 Blue Book",

"Category": "Programming",

"Price": "56.00"

},

{

"Book ID": "3",

"Book Name": "Popular Science",

"Category": "Science",

"Price": "210.40"

}

]

Step#2: I need to capture the above output and parse it and finally it should send an email notification as HTML table format.

Like below:

pastedImage_1.png

Note: The JSON output will not be the same always, that means we have different API's calls with different headers and values but finally.

--

Regards,

Laxmi

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

At reference link you provided in the first post, there is almost a complete implementation of how to process the JSON object to create HTML - check the body of the function CreateTableFromJSON there. The only problem is that it uses DOM document to save the output HTML, which would not work for vRO as there is no DOM.

So instead you need to build a normal string containing the whole HTML, following the HTML table format. Check, for example, https://html.com/tables/  to see how the structure of HTML table looks like.

0 Kudos
LaxmiRagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

is this not achievable using Resource Elements in vRO?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hmm, what do you want to store in the resource element?

0 Kudos
LaxmiRagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just thought that I will put complete HTML in resource element and somehow I will send the json which is returned by API. vRO should process that HTML give us final output then I can send an email notification with the same output.

As of now, I have resolved this way:

var headers = [];

var jsonAsInput =

[

{

"Book ID": "1",

"Book Name": "Computer Architecture",

"Category": "Computers",

"Price": "125.60"

},

{

"Book ID": "2",

"Book Name": "Asp.Net 4 Blue Book",

"Category": "Programming",

"Price": "56.00"

},

{

"Book ID": "3",

"Book Name": "Popular Science",

"Category": "Science",

"Price": "210.40"

}

]

var data = JSON.parse(jsonAsInput)

for (var key in data[0]) {

headers.push(key);

}

var doctype = "<!DOCTYPE html>"

var style = "<style>#reports {  font-family: \"Trebuchet MS\", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;  border-collapse: collapse;  width: 100%;}#reports td, #reports th {  border: 1px solid #ddd;  padding: 8px;}#reports tr:nth-child(even){background-color: #f2f2f2;}#reports tr:hover {background-color: #ddd;}#reports th {  padding-top: 12px;  padding-bottom: 12px;  text-align: left;  background-color: #4CAF50;  color: white;}</style>";

var body = "<html><head><title>Report Data</title>" + style + "</head><body><p><br/> Report details:<br/></p>"

var table = "<table id=\"reports\"><tr>"

for each(var header in headers) {

table = table + "<th>" + header + "</th>"

}

for each(var item in data) {

table = table + "</tr><tr>"

for (var td in item) {

table = table + "<td>" + item[td] + "</td>"

}

table = table + "</tr>"

}

var html = doctype + body + table + "</tr></table></body></html><br/><br/><br/>"

System.log("Final Html Str: " + html);

Thank you Ilian Iliev for your support.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can put the HTML in a resource element, but you still need to write some scripting code to read the HTML from the resource element and generate the final HTML content using the dynamic data. Resource elements will not do this automatically.

0 Kudos