VMware Communities
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Setup an isolated test network to mirror production

I’m trying to set up a replica isolated network within my VMware Workstation so I can test upgrading our domain functional level as we’re stuck on 2003 still. The goal will be to introduce Server 2016 and upgrade the functional level then decommission the 2003 server.

I’ve converted both Windows Servers (one is 2003 and the other is 2008R2) and copied them to my laptop and made sure they turn on which they do but I have the NIC set to host only and for it not to be connected at power on until I can figure out the network setup.

The LAN on the production environment is 192.168.75.xxx. For my testing purposes, I assume I want a “host-only” network correct?

Do I only need to change the Subnet IP from 192.168.226.0 to 192.168.75.0 for that to happen? I need to make sure it’s 100% isolated.

Also if I mimic the 192.168.75.xxx network while my laptop is physically connected to that LAN will that cause an issue?

2018-12-12_16-12-01.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

If you want a guest-only isolated network, ignore the Virtual Network Editor.  Select "Custom" as the network adapter connection type in each VM, and specify any of the unused VMnet switches (2-7, 9).  Make sure to pick the same one for each VM you want on this same network.

0 Kudos