VMware Communities
eeeehaw
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot update from Workstation Pro 14.1.4 to 14.1.5, hangs at 'uninstall virtual network drivers'

I have Workstation Pro 14.1.4 64b installed on Win 10 Pro 64b with auto-check for VMware updates, and when I started it this morning it alerted me that a  new update 14.1.5 was available.  I continued to Download and Update.  It seems to have successfully downloaded and extracted (not sure where), the installer opens and, after confirming user selections and asking me to close the running Workstation program, proceeds to install...until it gets to a point where it is uninstalls the vmware virtual network drivers, where is hangs, meaning it does nothing past about the 80% progress bar point for a half hour.  Task Manager reports the "VMware Network Editor" as "not responding".

I canceled the update and killed the Network Editor task, but now all my vmware virtual network adapters are missing, despite the installer reporting it restored everything back!  Obviously no network connectivity from my VMs now.

Workstation Pro re-opened okay, and I checked for updates and went through the process again.  This time it updated to 14.1.5, but still NO vmware virtual network adapters!  Thus, no network connectivity from my VMs.

What is the solution to this problem to restore my vmware network adapters, preferably without destroying the dozen VMs I spent days configuring and running correctly?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tramp20
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Do a full uninstall and reboot.  Then try running the 14.1.5 installer.  If you still have issues, search the Knowledgebase for the VMware Cleaner, and run that before installing.

0 Kudos