sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Blast/h264 degrading web animations

A good webpage to reproduce what I see is icloud.com.if I use pcoip

pastedImage_0.png

with blast

pastedImage_1.png

Its slight in the images, but there is slight "blocky-ness" to the animation behind which I'm assuming is the h264 encoder. I have no qos enabled either by GPO or Horizon Smart Policies using UEM. Do I need to switch back to PCOIP for better quality, or is there a change we can make.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert

It's the h264 decoding. You can disable it in the client or agent if you prefer to continue to use blast.

Configure VMware Blast Options

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Turing off h.264 decoding actually made it worse. I suspect I need to enable lossless compression

Enabling Lossless Compression for VMware Blast

or just switch to pcoip by default.

0 Kudos
prince55241000
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please try to enable the UDP protocol for the Blast and then check whether that will fix the issue.

You can find the settings in the ADMX template of VMware horizon view

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > VMware Blast

UDP protocol and enable it

0 Kudos
john_its
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recently did perform a couple of tests with PCoIP at default settings and Blast at H264 and PNG.

PCoIP while it seemed to have the better quality it was very very laggy, even when I played a bit with different options. It also had the higher CPU usage on the VM

H264 was ok but at times, the image to the user was becoming a bit blurry. 

PNG has good enough quality, better than H264 and has the lowest CPU consumption so far from both PCoIP and H264 on the VM side.

We are working on Blast with PNG for the past few days and we have a drop of 12-15% of CPU consumption on the hosts.

At least these are the results for us.

0 Kudos
nire2019
Contributor
Contributor

Would it be possible to provide your settings?

As we are on the same task it would be really helpful.

We did some experiments with h.264 and YUV444.

As we have Nvidia Grid support the CPU usage is very low and quality is quite good but some users are complaining they are feeling some lag when moving windows.

Thank you

0 Kudos