VMware Communities
UserInterface
Contributor
Contributor

Allow non-admin to edit networking settings

Hi All. I'm part of a school and we want to allow a user (maybe all users, not sure yet) to edit the network config on the virtual machines.

We don't want to give them local admin rights as that is to much access for these machines. Is there any way to allow a non-admin user to edit the network configuration of a virtual machine in VMWare player?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
UserInterface
Contributor
Contributor

Does any one have any ideas?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know a regular user should be allowed to edit the parameter
ethernet0.vnet = "vmnetXXX"
in the VM-configuration.
So if you as admin configure the master-network configuration you should predict the needs of your users and create vmnets for all predicted cases.
If you give this some thoughts you should be able to handle this problem without the need to give your users admin-rights.
That surely is the last thing you want to do in a school.
For more specific advice feel free to go into the details.
Ulli

0 Kudos
UserInterface
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is that they are connecting multiple USB ethernet adaptors and then patching them through to the rooms networking equipment so we can't predict how it will be used. Within the VM is fine as they are just windows 7 and they log on as a user with admin rights. The problem arises when they need to change the settings in the config of the host to bridge these connections etc into the VM's.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In a school you should not even consider to allow users to connect their own USB-devices.
If you allow users to connect their USB-devices you also have to expect to have a daily complete virus-examination.
And that is the harmless case - in worst case smart users will use this to sabotage your services.
If blocking USB globally is no option - can you set rules for USB-device types ?

0 Kudos
UserInterface
Contributor
Contributor

These machines are isolated so it's fine and a requirement of the labs. What I can't work out if how to give them access to edit the network settings of the VMware application without giving them full local admin rights which I don't want to do.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Cant you switch from lets say "vmnet1" to "vmnet8" in Menu > VM > Settings > Network Adapter  with a standard user account ?
AFAIK you only need elevated rights for Menu > Edit > Virtual Network Editor

0 Kudos