VMware Cloud Community
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Guest Operation Failed

Hi,

I try to use the workflows under Guest Operation (Delete directory in guest, List path in guest etc) in my orchestrator appliance.

Although it worked few weeks ago, now it stop working with the following error:

Failed to authenticate with guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

If I try to login by Putty to appliance with the same login I entered in the workflow it works fine.

If I try to run those workflows in windows virtual machine it works fine.

I use this workflow for a long time without any problem, and suddenly they stop working in my orchestrator appliance.

What can I check?

Any idea will be appreciate.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cjoshi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have seen similar issues when I use vRO (specifically embedded) for long time via the vRO client, the orchestrator state goes in a bad state. Restarting vRO service from appliance command line usually solves the issues.

Steps:

1. Login to the vRO (or vRA) appliance via the SSH
  2. service vco-server stop && sleep 5 && service vco-server start

This may also happen because of an expired password. I am guessing since the password worked earlier via Putty, hence it may not have expired. Via Putty use the following command to check the password expiry for the username.

chage -l username

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

I've seen the same error message reported by users in slightly different context, where the problem has been identified as expired password (check, for example, https://arieldavenport.com/2018/07/16/vcsa-upgrade-failed-to-authenticate-with-the-guest-operating-s...).

Could you check if resetting/changing the password also solves the problem for you?

0 Kudos
cjoshi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have seen similar issues when I use vRO (specifically embedded) for long time via the vRO client, the orchestrator state goes in a bad state. Restarting vRO service from appliance command line usually solves the issues.

Steps:

1. Login to the vRO (or vRA) appliance via the SSH
  2. service vco-server stop && sleep 5 && service vco-server start

This may also happen because of an expired password. I am guessing since the password worked earlier via Putty, hence it may not have expired. Via Putty use the following command to check the password expiry for the username.

chage -l username

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

But I can login the appliance with same credential by putty...

So why should I reset My password?

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK, you are right.

The password expires is 27.11.18 , since then these workflows have stoped to run.

How can I change this attribute to Never?

Moreover, If I try to change root password, it does not let me to change to same password, how can I handle this?

I prefer to stay with same password, because I have many workflows which connect to appliance with this password.

vra.jpg

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try the following to change password to never expire:

chage -m 0 -M 99999 root

To stay with the same password, one option is to try to change the password to some temporary password, and then change it again to the password you want to stay with.

orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I use the command you sent,  it changed the attribute to Never.

Moreover, I tried your suggestion, and changed it to a temporary password and tried to return to old password but received the following error:

Password has been already used.Choose another.

I want to return to old password...

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Remove the entries related to your user from the file /etc/security/opasswd (or rename/delete the file) and then try again to change the password.