VMware Communities
rspierenburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Incomplete upgrade to Workstation 15 on headless Windows Server

Good morning,

I've been running VM Workstation 14 on a Windows Server 2016 machine via RDP for a Nextcloud vm.  I was prompted that Workstation 15 was available for download and upgrade and proceeded to run the upgrade.  It go to the point where it tried to uninstall Workstation 14 and I lost RDP connection to my server.  I waited for a while but could not re-connect to the server either via RDP or share connects.  I had to force-reboot the server and all was well again, but I was left with a crippled Workstation 14 that will run the Nextcloud VM but the virtual network is corrupt and I cannot connect to the Nextcloud instance.  I've re-tried the Workstation 15 install and it tells me there is a pending update already in the works, so I try to let it run and I lose connection to the server once again.  I've since tried a 'Repair' and a full uninstall on the Workstation 14 with the exact same results.

Just wondering if there was any manual install/uninstall items I could try to either a) Complete the upgrade to Workstation 15 or b) fix the networking in the Workstation 14 install.

Thank you,

Robert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try a reboot first, in case the uninstall pending flag is still loaded in the registry.  If that doesn't work, search the KnowledgeBase for the VMware Cleaner (I think it's article 1308).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try a reboot first, in case the uninstall pending flag is still loaded in the registry.  If that doesn't work, search the KnowledgeBase for the VMware Cleaner (I think it's article 1308).

0 Kudos
rspierenburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much, I ended up throwing on a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse.  With a reboot and rerunning the install all worked well.  Guess is just doesn't like doing updates via RDP. Lesson learned.

0 Kudos