VMware Horizon Community
burgerking68
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Placeholders in Text Files

Hello, I would like to use the "placeholders for textfiles" (Using Placeholders in Text Files) to create a desktop-file to deposit user information for the support case. (I do not want to work with BGInfo). Basically, that works too. Unfortunately, only the system variables created by Horizon are not "resolved" in the text file. The script currently looks like this:

Hello ,

Information For you and an external support:

- You are logged in on the computer named [Flex #%computername%].
- Your login name: [Flex #%username%]
- Your currently used desktop pool: [Flex #%ViewClient_Launch_ID%]
- the display protocol used for this: [Flex #%ViewClient_Protocol%]

- The PC name used locally by you: [Flex #%ViewClient_Machine_Name%]
- the local IP address of your PC: [Flex #%ViewClient_IP_Address%]

- Your so-called "Homeshare": [Flex #%homeshare%]

%Computername%, %Username% and %Homeshare% work as variables. All others, however, are not translated.

Can someone explain why? Thank you for the answer!

UEM Ver. 9,5. Horizon 7.3.2

VMWare 8.4, DEM 2106
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi burgerking68,

Unfortunately, Horizon's ViewClient_ variables aren't available yet when UEM runs at logon.

One day I'll try to implement a workaround in UEM for that, but that won't be any time soon... In the meantime, you can create your own workaround:

1. Create a new Flex config file. Let's call it UserInformation.INI.
  2. On the Advanced tab, uncheck Process during logon and logoff
  3. Add a predefined setting of type Fully Enforced Settings, and define the text file with placeholders (or just import the ZIP from your current Files and Folders setting
  4. Log on as a test user to a test system, open a command prompt, and run the following command:
    "C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe" -i \\server\share\path\to\UserInformation.INI -r C:\Some\Folder\And\File\Name\That\Does\Not\Exist.zip
  5. If that works as intended, you can create a shortcut in the startup folder that runs the command from step 4. Make sure to keep the Run asynchronously checkbox unchecked (if you use UEM to create this shortcut), as otherwise it might be created too late for File Explorer to run at when the shell appears.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi burgerking68,

Unfortunately, Horizon's ViewClient_ variables aren't available yet when UEM runs at logon.

One day I'll try to implement a workaround in UEM for that, but that won't be any time soon... In the meantime, you can create your own workaround:

1. Create a new Flex config file. Let's call it UserInformation.INI.
  2. On the Advanced tab, uncheck Process during logon and logoff
  3. Add a predefined setting of type Fully Enforced Settings, and define the text file with placeholders (or just import the ZIP from your current Files and Folders setting
  4. Log on as a test user to a test system, open a command prompt, and run the following command:
    "C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe" -i \\server\share\path\to\UserInformation.INI -r C:\Some\Folder\And\File\Name\That\Does\Not\Exist.zip
  5. If that works as intended, you can create a shortcut in the startup folder that runs the command from step 4. Make sure to keep the Run asynchronously checkbox unchecked (if you use UEM to create this shortcut), as otherwise it might be created too late for File Explorer to run at when the shell appears.
0 Kudos
burgerking68
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi UEMdev​,

Thanks for that! That works for me!!

See...ähh...read you soonSmiley Wink

Burgerking68

VMWare 8.4, DEM 2106
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you for reporting back; happy to hear that it works!

0 Kudos