VMware Horizon Community
peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, We use Persona at the moment with Horizon vew with Automated Desktop Pools, Dedicated linked clones on Wyse P25 zero clients. It is a small environment (less than 30 users) Each user has a dedicated vmware machine where they can install programs (when

Hi, We use Persona at the moment with Horizon vew with Automated Desktop Pools, Dedicated linked clones on Wyse P25 zero clients. It is a small environment (less than 30 users) Each user has a dedicated vmware machine where they can install programs (when we saupply admin password) and make their own shortcuts and save docs on the desktop etc, as much like a PC as possible. I am trying to understand UEM and am not sure if we can replicate this type of scenorio in UEM? Also is it possible to install programs on the fly if a user requests it? for example if a user needs a PDF converter prog can we quickly download and install the program on the machine as with a PC etc? Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

Would there be much benefit moving to UEM with persistent disks or is it best to stick with Persona?

From what you've described, I don't think that there's a big benefit per se in moving to UEM. If Persona does what you need it to do, I'd suggest you stick with that.

Also is it recommended to have Roaming profiles and dedicated VM's working with UEM?

UEM is pretty much agnostic to both. I don't think you'll find many UEM implementations with roaming profiles, as UEM's profile management feature is mainly aimed at local or mandatory profiles – if you have a roaming profile, you don't need a third-party solution to manage your users' settings. Having said that, UEM works perfectly fine with roaming profiles.

A similar thing can be said for dedicated VMs: you don't really need a profile management solution in such a scenario, but UEM works perfectly fine in it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi still waiting for any help with this if possible?

thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Don't wanna sound like a condescending prick but i'd suggest to do a read in with View options and software available.

UEM is (as it says) a User Environment Manager. You can set printers, mappings, shortcuts and the some with it and also transfer personal settings like you were using a roaming profile. It is NOT used to provide applications to users.

You could use Appvolumes for delivering applications, no idea what license you have but try and look into that as well.

Also, please do keep in mind this is community driven, not VMWare supported and posting something on Friday does not mean you get a reply instantly.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi peetey100,

UEM is used to persist and restore a user's settings across sessions, and to define the user's workspace (printers, drive mappings, shortcuts etc.)

What exactly are you using Persona for, right now? If you have dedicated VMs, you don't really need something to manage the user's settings or data?

You can't use UEM to install programs, but you could maybe use its Privilege Elevation feature to allow users to install (certain) software themselves?

0 Kudos
peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for the replies, Sorry didn't mean to sound impatient just wanted to bump it up after weekend break.

We are using Persona at the moment with persistent disks and dedicated Machines, so user (with admin rights) can install software themselves. Just to clarify, rather than using UEM to push software I wasn't sure which setup they need to install software, e.g if they have mandatory profiles I expect they won't be able to mahe changes to the local system ?

Also,  as UEMdev says, if I have dedicated VM's maybe UEM won't offer much apart from another way to manage the profile? I believe Persistent disk aren't really compatible with UEM?

thanks

peter

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

UEM works fine with persistent disks – we also support physical deployments, so we better support persistent scenarios 🙂

There's no need to move to mandatory profiles or to move away from persistent disks and dedicated VMs if that's what you're currently using with Persona. What I meant with my previous remark is that in such a persistent setup you don't really need UEM's settings management feature, as settings will remain on those disks and machines anyway.

You could still leverage privilege elevation to allow non-admins to install software, if that's what you're looking for.

0 Kudos
peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, Would there be much benefit moving to UEM with persistent disks or is it best to stick with Persona?

Also is it recommended to have Roaming profiles and dedicated VM's working with UEM?

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

Would there be much benefit moving to UEM with persistent disks or is it best to stick with Persona?

From what you've described, I don't think that there's a big benefit per se in moving to UEM. If Persona does what you need it to do, I'd suggest you stick with that.

UEM is pretty much agnostic to both. I don't think you'll find many UEM implementations with roaming profiles, as UEM's profile management feature is mainly aimed at local or mandatory profiles – if you have a roaming profile, you don't need a third-party solution to manage your users' settings. Having said that, UEM works perfectly fine with roaming profiles.

A similar thing can be said for dedicated VMs: you don't really need a profile management solution in such a scenario, but UEM works perfectly fine in it.

0 Kudos
peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's a really helpful answer, Thank you, has made things much clearer

peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can, I also just ask if there are any guidelines or built-in in settings for using Persistent disks with in a UEM environment please?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Most of our customers are using UEM to persist user settings in non-persistent environments; there isn't anything special in UEM for persistent disks. In such a setup, any changes that a user makes will continue to exist in subsequent sessions automatically.

0 Kudos
peetey100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks very much

peter