VMware Horizon Community
RealQuiet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

App Volumes Manager install issues, ODBC switching to SQL Server (10) Driver

AppVol: 2.14.0

ODBC Driver: SQL Native Client 11.0

SQL Server: 2012

I am having an issue with a fresh install of App Volumes Manager. In advance I created the ODBC connection for svmanager using SQLNC 11.0 drivers and it connected successfully. The service account has dbo schema applied and db_owner permissions for the database on the SQL server.

Attempt 1: Run the installer and enter the information to make the connection to the remote SQL server. Press browse for the database name and it fails with SSL error: Error 27502. Could not connect to Microsoft SQL Server 'server.fqdn.'. [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECCreateCredentials()).] SSL Security error. (18)

Attempt 2: Enter the database name, select overwrite existing, then Next. SSL error:  [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNELIB]SSL Security error :Error occured, error number:-2147467259Error location:Open DB

Attempt 1 does not create an ODBC connection, however, Attempt 2 results in the installer overwriting the existing svmanger ODBC entry and replacing it with the SQL Server (10.0) driver. This fails due to SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 being restricted.

Does anyone have advice on how to get App Volumes Manager to make this database connection? I tried the installer from App Volumes 2.14.0 and 2.14.2.

Update:

Attempt 3: I had the SQL admin provide an AD service account db_owner permissions and then made that service account an Administrator on the AppVol server. Logging in under the service account I was able to create an ODBC connection and successfully connect with the Integrated Windows authentication checked. I attempted AppVol install with the Connect using option set to Windows Integrated Authentication selected and received the same errors.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoaoGrade
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any update to this thread?

I am facing the same issue

ODBC Driver: ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server

SQL: 2016 SP2

App Volumes: 2.15 / 2.14.2

I can create the connection using ODBC Driver 17 64bit/32bit and it connects to the Database but if I use the App Volumes Wizard I get the same errors.

0 Kudos
RealQuiet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I checked and my Cipher Suites and allowed protocols match up with the SQL server (also evident by the successful manual configuration of a ODBC connection). The solution better not be: Allow SSL 3.0 for the initial configuration then modify the ODBC connection. I cannot do that to a production SQL instance.

Thinking of having the DBAs delete the database and start again. The only thing that might be an issue, is that I had them create the database under one name and then rename it at a later date. Not sure how that would matter as nothing was written to the database and I had them add a domain service account as db_owner after it was renamed. At this point I am willing to try anything.

0 Kudos
pbvde
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issue. I can manually specify the 'svmanager' ODBC connection with the correct SQL driver and it works in ODBC administrator. I then run the installer which changes it to an older ODBC driver that will not connect to our SQL instance.

Has anyone found a way out of this loop?

0 Kudos
barakni
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Got the same thing, got this response from support

Yes, believe App Volumes requires TLS1.0 to be enabled due to the SQL ODBC connector it attempts to use.

The installer doesn’t have the capability currently to use the SQL Native Client which supports TLS 1.1 and 1.2. Yes, App Volumes requires TLS1.0 to be Yes, App Volumes requires TLS1.0 to be enabled due to the SQL ODBC connector it attempts to use. The installer doesn’t have the capability currently to use the SQL Native Client which supports TLS 1.1 and 1.2.

Planned to be supported in later releases

0 Kudos
RealQuiet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I hope that is not the case. I cannot re-enable TLS 1.0 on a production SQL server just to get App Volumes installed and working.

I was really hoping for some quirky command line install that would force it to load the SQLNC 11 drivers.

0 Kudos