VMware Horizon Community
Toolbox123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Install a second RDS server

Hi All,

So everything is working great with my horizon installation.  We are now finding it impossible to apply updates\reboot the RDS server due to the volume of users using it at all hours of the day.  So we would like to install a secondary RDS server so it can load balance and so we can move all users to one RDS server while we perform maintenance on it.  So far we are only using this for publishing applications, no VDI.

Just wondering what the course of action here is.

TIA

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Install the apps that you will be publishing.

You register the RDS server to Horizon during the agent install.

Add the server to the RDS farm you are using for the published apps.

Connections will be balanced between the two servers.

For maintenance, you need to disable the server in View admin. At this point, newly connected users will start to hit the other server. Once all the sessions have logged out of the RDS server, you can perform your updates. Its a slow process if you have a bunch of users.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Install the apps that you will be publishing.

You register the RDS server to Horizon during the agent install.

Add the server to the RDS farm you are using for the published apps.

Connections will be balanced between the two servers.

For maintenance, you need to disable the server in View admin. At this point, newly connected users will start to hit the other server. Once all the sessions have logged out of the RDS server, you can perform your updates. Its a slow process if you have a bunch of users.

Toolbox123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

I accidently installed the second RDS server as it's own farm, thought I could change it later. 

Cheers.

0 Kudos