VMware Communities
Kowa92
Contributor
Contributor

Zoom issue on Windows XP SP3 guest when the option "resizing and layout of apps, icons and text" of windows 10 or 7 is setup different from 100%

I have a VMware Workstation Pro licensed product.

I have set up a VM with WIndows XP Pro SP3 x32 .. The only problem is that when the VM is running, the icons and the rest of the desktop items are too small. My desktop resolution is 1920x1080.

I discovered that this problem, is caused by the fact that under the option "resizing and layout of apps, icons and text" of windows 10, is set a value that differ from its default, i.e. 100% (in my case it is 125%). If this value is > 100%, the Windows XP guest icons are seen as smaller because of this "scaled zoom" changed setting.

Windows 7 and Windows 10 guests have no visualization problems, because i think that they have already this option inside in their OSs; while Windows XP, not having it, shows the small icons as if the scaling was blocked at 100%.

- Now, has anyone found a way to fix it when the option "resizing and layout of apps, icons and text" parameter of host (i.e. Windows 10 or 7) is changed?

PS: I tried to start the VMware using the the compatibility of "modifying high DPI" mode.. it apparently works because the elements of the desktop are resized correctly but the mouse goes crazy.. The guest, once started, gets messed up between the DPI of the desktop and those setup in VMware app as compatibility, thus confusing the mouse pointer on the guest (you click a folder on the guest desktop and the click happen 4 centimeters higher).

I wanted to know if there is a display setting which allows me to zoom in the guest's desktop without stretch it or lower the resolution of it (also it must auto adapt when i resizing the host window). It exists?

For example, in Oracle VirtualBox there is an option called "Scale Factor" that zoom in the guest's desktop view from 100% to 200% (i would need 125% more than what VMware VM sets me up). Is not there something similar in VMware Workstation?

Otherwise there isn't a workaround to fix the guest's desktop view bigger?

I have searched a lot around but i have not found anything that can help me ..

0 Kudos
0 Replies