VMware Cloud Community
techleak
Contributor
Contributor

Auto consolidation not completing on specific VMs

My client is having a problem with VMs consolidating at the end of Veeam backups. I have to try and consolidate out of hours with the VM offline to run it quicker which is not ideal. They have 3 hosts with ESXi 5.5, vCenter HA. The problem is occurring on 4 VMs (Exchange, vCenter and DC and app server). They sit on different hosts, one on different storage. I am not an expert on vmware but from what I've read, this could be an issue with orphaned snapshot files but once I run consolidation, the VM is back to production and everything is fine until the backup runs again.

Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

It is a common issue with all the backup platforms.

Which type of datastore these VMs are residing, kindly move them to high performance datastore.

vSphere may report that consolidation is needed in case there is a snapshot on the disk which should be deleted, but the deletion process is stuck in the Consolidation state for one of the following reasons:

• Datastore performance is low and snapshot deletion/consolidation is timed out;
  • The datastore does not have enough space to perform consolidation;
  • A vSphere or a 3rd party application/process is locking the snapshot which should be deleted;
  • A vSphere or a 3rd party application/process fails to consolidate a snapshot after the snapshot has been deleted. This could be caused by some connectivity issues between the vCenter Server and ESXi host.

Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Consolidation Needed status Alarm - Veeam MP for VMware Online KB

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos