VMware Horizon Community
mikezuccaburg
Contributor
Contributor

Running VMWare Horizon on Fedora

Hi all,

Initially I had posted this question in the wrong forum.  Someone was kind enough to respond to my initial thread, which is here:

Horizon won't launch with Fedora 29

I'm trying to install VMWare Horizon on Fedora 29 and I can't figure out how to execute the instructions in the above post.  I copy/pasted the relevant part but so far, no good.  Is there any simple command I can use to remove crtbora?  How do I get it to run on Fedora?  It installed fine, I just can't get it to open.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
12 Replies
Lindsayl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Linux VDI doesn't support this system officially.

0 Kudos
dm27408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looks like the situation has improved with client version 5.1 and I'm now able to launch the default vmware-view-crtbora binary as long as the following bundled libraries are present:

/usr/lib/vmware/libatkmm-1.6.so.1
/usr/lib/vmware/libgdkmm-2.4.so.1
/usr/lib/vmware/libgiomm-2.4.so.1
/usr/lib/vmware/libglibmm-2.4.so.1
/usr/lib/vmware/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1
/usr/lib/vmware/libpangomm-1.4.so.1

I have updated my RPM packaging at Gitlab, so feel free to use that to build your own RPM package and let me know if you have any issues.

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there, trying to install the latest 5.1.0 on fedora 30, but it throws an error message "unknown error occurred". See /var/log/messages/vmware-horizon for more information.

However, the log doesn't exist. I tried leaving the error window open figured maybe it removes the file when I close the error window but that doesn't matter.

I set selinux to permissive. I run the bundle as root (sudo).

If running/compiling frmo the gitlab is the solution, can you please provide more information on how that works exactly?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apparently the log isn't where the dialog says it is, with --console there is no location specified at all in the output. Anyway, the log is at /tmp/vmware-root/<latest file>

The contents in my case:

[2019-09-02 14:02:34,574]

[2019-09-02 14:02:34,574]

[2019-09-02 14:02:34,574] Installer running.

[2019-09-02 14:02:34,574] Command Line Arguments:

[2019-09-02 14:02:34,574] ['/tmp/vmis.ZyCksN/install/vmware-installer/vmware-installer.py', '--set-setting', 'vmware-installer', 'libconf', '', '--install-component', '/tmp/vmis.ZyCksN/install/vmware-installer', '--install-bundle', '/home/ibijker/Downloads/./VMware-Horizon-Client-5.1.0-13956721.x64.bundle', '','--console']

[2019-09-02 14:02:34,577] UI Initialization failed.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/tmp/vmis.ZyCksN/install/vmware-installer/vmware-installer.py", line 289, in main

ui.Initialize(options.ui)

File "/tmp/vmis.ZyCksN/install/vmware-installer/vmis/ui/__init__.py", line 82, in Initialize

exec('from vmis.ui.console import *', globals())

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

File "/tmp/vmis.ZyCksN/install/vmware-installer/vmis/ui/console.py", line 468

if (installComponents[component] == "yes")

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

0 Kudos
dm27408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for late response, I haven't checked the forum for a while. I have no idea why you're getting that error. What happens when you simply run the bundle installer?

The recipe on my gitlab space for building an RPM package is of course not supported by VMware (I'm not affiliated with VMware in any way), but it works for me on Fedora 30. You need to clone the repo​, put the files in correct places depending on your RPM build environment configuration and use rpmbuild -bb directly or create a "source RPM" with rpmbuild -bs and use mock to build the binary packages. Explaining the above in detail is beyond the scope of this forum. If VMware permitted redistribution of their client, I could simply point you at a public RPM repository which you could add to your system and simply run dnf install vmware-horizon-client.

fedorauser_in
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dominik,

I am trying to get Horizon to work on Fedora 32. Initially, I could not get Horizon to launch when clicking on the remote machine name in the organization portal. After building the RPM package using the recipe on your gitlab space, I could get it to launch, but with an unresponsive black screen. Have you been able to get this to work on Fedora 32? If yes, could you please provide some pointers for me. Thank You!

0 Kudos
dm27408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it's working just fine for me. Try the latest version from my gitlab space. Are you using the default Fedora 32 edition, i.e. Workstation? If yes, try launching GNOME on X11 session. Horizon client doesn't support Wayland (Fedora default).

reginolda
Contributor
Contributor

I am on fedora 20. I get the below error when I run from terminal

[root@localhost lib]# vmware-view %u

vmware-view: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by vmware-view)

vmware-view: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/vmware/libcrtbora.so)

vmware-view: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /usr/lib/vmware/libcrtbora.so)

0 Kudos
reginolda
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dom,

Can you have the steps to do the custom build in a blog page. I am sure this will help a lot of people to install vmware horizon and get started.

0 Kudos
reginolda
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All,

I tried to install VMware Horizon client in fedora 20 but it was an absolute massacre. None of the libraries were up to date and and even some of the .so files werent even supported by the Fedora 20.

Finally I installed fedora 32 the latest one and just followed the post given by Blessymoses below. It just worked like a charm!

https://medium.com/@blessymoses17/install-vmware-horizon-client-in-fedora-30-e584344bdce5

So the bottomline is that have the latest version of fedora running and have the prequisites installed. You should be going fantastic. Just adding the steps I followed just in case if the above link is down or the post is taken down.

1. Install the latest version of fedora workstation

2.Install the pre-requisite libraries

$ sudo dnf install libpng12

3. Create the symbolic links for libudev.so.0 and libffi.so.5 libraries

$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libudev.so.1 /usr/lib64/libudev.so.0
$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libffi.so.6 /usr/lib64/libffi.so.5

4. Download install bundle from

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=CART19FQ4_LIN64_410&productId=578&rPId=29503

4. Install the client using the bundle downloaded from VMware website

$ chmod 0744 VMware-Horizon-Client-4.10.0–11053294.x64.bundle$ 

sudo ./VMware-Horizon-Client-4.10.0–11053294.x64.bundle

5. Launch the client

$ sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/vmware /usr/lib/vmware/view/bin/vmware-view

Or

Open VMware Horizon client from search.

Good luck.
fedorauser_in
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks reginolda & Dominik! Your suggestions helped and I am now able to run the client on my Fedora 32. For anyone facing the same issue in Fedora, changing from Wayland to X11, as advised  by Dominik, and following the steps listed by reginolda did it for me!

Regards

Arjun

0 Kudos
dm27408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW, I've added a README file with build instructions for my package, which should make things easier to set up: https://gitlab.com/greysector/rpms/vmware-horizon-client/-/blob/master/README.md .

Regards,

Dominik

0 Kudos