VMware Horizon Community
tdomperhun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Horizon Desktop w 2 drives on 2 different datastore

HI,

I have a master image (Win10Pro) with 2 drives. These 2 two drives live on 2 different datastores.

I would like create a Pool where the horizon desktops also have 2 drives and those drives live on 2 different datastores.

Is it possible?

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You could make a manual pool, then put them where you want, the only downside is you need to create ad objects and the vms manually. Automatic assignments would still work

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Are you trying to make this work with linked clones? It's possible but there are some limitations listed below from the documentation. As I understand it both disks would end up on the same datastore.

Configure a Parent Virtual Machine

• Verify that the system disk contains a single volume.You cannot deploy linked clones from a parent virtual machine that contains more than one volume. Multiple virtual disks are supported.

Note:For View Composer linked clones, if the parent virtual machine contains multiple virtual disks, when you create a desktop pool, do not select a drive letter for the View Composer persistent disk or disposable data disk that already exists on the parent virtual machine or that conflicts with a drive letter that is used for a network-mounted drive.

• Verify that the virtual machine does not contain an independent disk.An independent disk is excluded when you take a snapshot of the virtual machine. Clones are based on a snapshot and therefore will not contain the independent disk.
0 Kudos
tdomperhun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

You are absolutely right, that it can be done with lined clone, but...

The customer uses Full Clones.

Do you have any suggestion or it is a dead end project?

Regards,

_Peter

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You could make a manual pool, then put them where you want, the only downside is you need to create ad objects and the vms manually. Automatic assignments would still work

0 Kudos
tdomperhun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, this is just a way now it works.

But we would like to automate the provisioning of the new VMs.

Is thee a way we can automate it?

_Peter

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You could with powershell, put the vms in folder, powershell watches the and then clones vms from a template if its under a certain number, and creates an ad object for each one. You should be able to assign them to the pool with powershell and the horizon api, but its a bit more difficult since I haven't seen alot of examples. I had to make a manual pool for a linked clone pool we need to move and I just manually do it now, but I am looking to automate it since I don't have another option

0 Kudos