VMware Cloud Community
ArcTech1
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Error - FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'BlockLevelVolumeCloneMgr::CloneVolume: Detected a write error during the cloning of volume

Trying to P2V a server and having some quite major issues, I've attached the log file.

So far I've tried different versions of converter, tried a direct link between Physical box and host for conversion using a crossover, P2V individual drives, the best I have had so far is it seemed to complete but this was making the destination one RAID set on RAID 5 its really quite strange.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and can help narrow it down.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You're using old Converter, try the latest Converter 6.2

If error persist, then try to check disk(s) on ESX host.

HTH

0 Kudos
ArcTech1
Contributor
Contributor

Done both already, used 6.2 primarily. Today is the first time I used V6.0 as a test. I have done a check disk as well all pass.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The error

2018-11-27T13:15:24.296Z warning vmware-converter-worker[12680] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcFssrvrProcessErrorMsg: received diskLib error 327689 from server: Input/output error -- NfcFssrvrWriteCB: failed to write 655360 bytes @ 13273923584 : Input/output error

2018-11-27T13:15:24.296Z info vmware-converter-worker[12680] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] Sysimgbase_DiskLib_Write failed with 'Access is denied' (error code:327689)

is definitely from ESX side.

Could check the ESX logs why error happens.

HTH

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is a chance that network drop make such error... how many times conversion fails and is there difference in percentages when error occurs?

0 Kudos
ArcTech1
Contributor
Contributor

Just looking on the host to see what errors there are if any, Its a Dell VRTX chassis with 1 blade in.

Its different percentages but I don't think its a drop, originally we had the physical and the host connected via a switch, thinking the same thing I then connected them directly via a crossover cable and it still fails. I've done constant ping tests as well and there is no packet loss when it does fail. Will come back with anything in the logs shortly.

0 Kudos
ArcTech1
Contributor
Contributor

Are there any particular logs your after there are some interesting items in events as well, FYI we have the following installation -

DellPowerEdge VRTX
Dell
PowerEdge M640 (VRTX)

And were utilising the custom image off the drive page for the M640 revision 6.7.0 build 8941472.

See attached for errors I've noticed. I have tried loads of ways to convert and have been constantly deleting data off the datstores from failed conversions. I'm a little confused though how the stores could be dropping when its in the same unit I appreciate its a VRTX chassis and blade but still its a single unit effectively and the permissions are all there in the CMC for it to utilise the RAID sets.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From Converter perspective - disks are created then the data is transferred, if some data transfer failed the whole VM (and disks) are deleted because of wrong data into.

About ESX logs - they are many and can't say where to look for exactly but probably using the name of destination VM will localize log(s) and probably problems with transfer.

About network and storage drops - try the ESX forum.

HTH

0 Kudos
ArcTech1
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thank you, I will take a look and start exporting some.

Does anyone else have any idea's from what I've submitted so far?.

0 Kudos
ArcTech1
Contributor
Contributor

Struggling to find much in the logs so far although only looked briefly, anyone have any other ideas?.

0 Kudos