VMware Communities
KelvinBailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Memory leak Workstation Pro 15.0.1

Anyone else experiencing what appears to be a memory leak using Workstation 15.0.1? Windows 10 1809 host.

If I power up a VM (doesn't matter what OS or configured VM memory size), non-paged pool immediately jumps up a GB or so. Power down the VM and completely close Workstation and the non-paged pool stays the same. Eventually host RAM is exhausted and host Windows becomes essentially unusable requiring a hard reset.

I've tried this with VMs with very little virtual hardware (no virtual NIC, USB, 3d acceleration, printers etc) with the same results.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KelvinBailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well... Figured this one out. Nothing to do with VMware. Problem was the drive hosting the VMs was formatted with REFS. Once I moved the VMs to a NTFS formatted drive the memory leak went away. Anyway, leaving this here in case it helps someone in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KelvinBailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not fixed in 15.0.2

Tried replacing physical network card (realtek, completely uninstalled driver afterward) with an Intel NIC as google suggested bad drivers as most likely cause.

0 Kudos
KelvinBailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The same VMs are running fine using the bundled VMware Workstation 15 Player. At least, so far... The non-paged pool is not constantly growing like it does when using full Workstation.

0 Kudos
KelvinBailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well... Figured this one out. Nothing to do with VMware. Problem was the drive hosting the VMs was formatted with REFS. Once I moved the VMs to a NTFS formatted drive the memory leak went away. Anyway, leaving this here in case it helps someone in the future.

0 Kudos