VMware Cloud Community
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows vCenter 6.5 Update 2c PSC/VCSA

Dear Communities

I am finding lots of information about this so was hoping I could get some solid information. I have a windows vCenter 6.5 Update 2c with an external PSC. Are any of the following possible:

- Migrate the External PSC to embedded into the existing Windows vCenter 6.5 Update 2c

OR

- Migrate from the External PSC and existing Windows vCenter 6.5 Update 2c to a VCSA (with Embedded PSC) of the same version (6.5 update 2c)

Thank you

Lozz

0 Kudos
10 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

You should be using the vCSA.

VMware has deprecated vCenter Server for Windows with the release of vSphere 6.7.

Farewell, vCenter Server for Windows - VMware vSphere Blog

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

- Migrate from the External PSC and existing Windows vCenter 6.5 Update 2c to a VCSA (with Embedded PSC) of the same version (6.5 update 2c)

Go for this as Windows based topology is being depreciated, also external PSC model has been announced to be depreciated in future releases..

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Vijay

Is this option available? Are you able to point me to some documentation that allows me to do this and remain on the same versions as outlined above because I cannot find anything.

Thank you

Lozza

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I see this doesn't seems to be supported at the moment. Have you tried it.

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No I have not tried it. I was asking if any of my options where possible to achieve. Okay so seems option 2 is not supported. What about option 1? Can I migrate my current external PSC to make it embedded into my existing Windows vCenter 6.5 U2c?

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is no way to migrate from external PSC to embedded PSC on existing vCenter, this can be only done during upgrade which also not supported for your setup (from vCenter Server 6.5 Update 2 to VCSA 6.7). I would say to wait, till upgrade from 6.5 U2 to VCSA 6.7 is officially supported. Else, the option would be new setup of vCenter.

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I not even migrate to 6.7U1 VCSA with Embedded PSC? Is that not officially supported?

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I can see, on the release notes of vCenter Server 6.5 Update 2c (Which is the current build you have, right !)

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm confused now as I found this:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
KennB
Contributor
Contributor

As mentioned above, Windows vCenter is already deprecated, and unavailable as of 6.7, but also as of 6.7 the external PSC is on it's last legs...

Last information I have (from a VMWare SociaLab day in September) is that you can migrate 6.5U2 to 6.7U1 (PSC, then vCenter server), then 'absorb' the PSC back into an embedded model on the VCSA.

vSphere 6.7U1 was released around VMworld so is still new, but as yet I haven't seen a way of doing a single step to embedded PSC.

The VCSA 'migration tool' will convert your PSC to an appliance,

Then run again to convert the Windows vCenter server,

Then (and this is where I cannot remember exactly) there is another tool on the *.iso to re-'embed' the PSC, but it may be a separate tool again. I don't think the re-embedding is available on 6.5 unfortunately

0 Kudos