VMware Communities
mfran2002
Contributor
Contributor

VM workstation from PC to PC: how to

Hi all,

first of all, I'm a real (real) beginner of VM

I have to give a collegue access to one PC on the same LAN (in the same time the owner of that PC will continue to work by his own).

I thought to 'VM workstation' but I don't know exactly how to do:

I have to install "VM Workstation" on both PCs? or some other tool?

what are the operating steps to follow?

thanks!

michele

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

It's not really clear what you are intending to do here.  Are you trying to run a virtual machine on PC#1 and give access to a user on PC#2 to that VM?  If so, while a user on PC#1 is also accessing it?  Or are you trying to just give access to some resources on PC#1 to a user on PC#2?

0 Kudos
mfran2002
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thank you for you reply

yes, if possible, I would like to run a virtual machine on PC#1 and give access to a user on PC#2 to that VM, while a user on PC#1 is also accessing it

😕

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Hmm... well, unless your guest OS is a Terminal Server, just like any physical computer, you aren't going to be able to have more than one user accessing it at the same time, from any location.

0 Kudos
monkeynut
Contributor
Contributor

If you want two or more people to access a shared virtual machine both locally and remotely you can.

First you need to activate/install a VNC server on the shared VM. Apple O/S has the server built in but for Windows and Linux you need to download a free VNC server and install it in the shared VM.

Remote users need a VNC client also free to download.

Next on the shared VM create a user account for each user. Now anyone with a VNC client can log in as a user on the shared VM and have remote access just as if they were sitting in front of the physical computer.

I do this all the time with a mixture of VMs and physical machines.

Have fun,

MN

0 Kudos