VMware Cloud Community
rondebbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Creating first VM - windows server 2016

I installed the esxi 6.7.0 on my Dell t5500.  I installed the client on my laptop and created datastore1\downloads.  I copied the 2016 eval ISO into \downloads.  While creating the first VM I used the browse button on cd/dvd and browsed to the ISO  file  and selected it.  After creating the VM I powered  it on hoping  it would boot from the ISO. I opened the  console  window  and  got  black screen that said  press any key to boot from CD or DVD...  Inside the black window there is  a blue  Boot Manager window.  I used the arrow key to move down to "EFI VMware Virtual SATA CDROM Drive (0.0). It still would not boot.

I hit power > reset.  Black window comes up and says Attempting to start form  EFI virtual disk ... unsuccessful - virtual SATA CDROM unsuccessful.

This is  my first time.  Am I  doing this correctly? Something wrong with the cd/dvd or eval 2016 ISO?  Newbie in need of help.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rondebbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I created another VM with same issue. The first screen shot shows the settings for the new win3 VM.  The second shows what happens when I try to power on/boot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
uttamprasad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In network adapter of the VM, check if Adapter type is  E1000E it should be power-on and boot. If it is another type then change it to E1000E for WIN 2016.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello

Please, can you prints screen?

Can you confirm that you've mapped a Windows 2016 installation DVD/ISO to the virtual machine's CD-ROM drive?

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
rondebbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I created another VM with same issue. The first screen shot shows the settings for the new win3 VM.  The second shows what happens when I try to power on/boot.

0 Kudos
rondebbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hopefully from the screen shot you can see how the CD/DVD  is pointing to the ISO. 

0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

E1000 for 2016 is not necessary since vmtools works fine on it, even the old version of vmxnet3 for 10.0.9:

20181116-ESXi6_vm_2016-01.gif

20181116-ESXi6_vm_2016-02.gif

0 Kudos
rondebbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I changed my Network adapter on the vm from E1000 to VMXNET 3, same as Daves (didn't make any difference).  Also you can

see my CD/DVD is pointing my Windows 16 ISO.  But still gets the same error (second screen print) in boot manager.  No matter how many times I

select the SATA CD ROM drive it comes back with "Press any key to boot form CD or DVD.....".  Not sure what I need to change.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
rondebbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Screen shot showing the entire path to the 2016 ISO.  You can see this is the EVAL version downloaded from Microsoft's site.

Does VMware have an issue because this is EVAL.  Any other ideas  on how I can boot from this ISO or install Windows 16

some other way?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You're not doing what I suggested in the last two paragraphs of my reply here to another one of your duplicate posts:

Re: Home lab Internet access from new esxi host

iso best to stay on your desktop computer so your CD/DVD drive 1 is Client Device.

0 Kudos
aidor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Go to Boot options when setting up the VM. Choose Boot from BIOS not EFI

0 Kudos