VMware Cloud Community
ikt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCenter 6.7 refuses approved host CPU ID added to EVC cluster

VSphere 6.7 latest update.  Violating host:  Dell R620 with dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz

We would like to add a lab host with dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz (Sandy Bridge) to a intel Nehalem compatible cluster.

The cluster's list of compatible CPUs are listed as:

Intel® "Nehalem" Generation (Xeon® Core™ i7)

Intel® "Westmere" Generation (Xeon® 32nm Core™ i7)

Intel® "Sandy Bridge" Generation

Intel® "Ivy Bridge" Generation

Intel® "Haswell" Generation

Future Intel® processors

The host to be added is in maintenance mode.  However the process throws the following error message:

The host's CPU hardware does not support the cluster's current Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode.

The host CPU lacks features required by that mode.

com.vmware.vim.vmfeature.cpuid.ssbd

See KB 1003212 for more information.

Host is of type: vendor intel family 0x6 model 0x2d

I don't find any details about the specific CPUid field mentioned above.  But I hope that someone can pop in to indicate if there is a workaround to allow my Sandy Bridge into this Nehalem compatible EVC cluster.

regards Tor

3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Is that host updated to the same level as the other hosts, I don't recognize the cpu feature, but I've seen this happen with microcode updates before. If the host isn't at the same patch level they aren't able to be added.

ikt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the hint.  I had a Dell R710 host in the same cluster that only had 6.5 hypervisor (6.7 is incompatible with R710).  Now I'm moving the R710 out of the cluster and updating the rest of the 6.7 hosts to the latest build.  I will report later how it turned out 🙂

0 Kudos
BMVMUser
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me! I updated my standalone host to the latest patch from here​​​, rebooted, and was then able to add the host to the cluster.

0 Kudos