VMware Cloud Community
asarobbins
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to expand, move or create a new hard disk on 1 particular VM

I recently inherited some VMware duties for my company and have been having an issue with 1 particular VM that I'm not able to figure out. There are 4 hard disk attached to the VM and space was running low on one of them, I expanded the drive from 800gb to 900gb and then realized I should have given more room. Ever since then, I haven't been able to expand that drive or move it to another datastore or add another hard drive hosted on a different datastore. It's currently at 900GB and the web client says there is 1.5TB free on the datastore, but even trying to expand it to 901GB tells me there is no free space on the datastore. As part of an unrelated project, I attempted to move the VM to a different host/datastore and was able to move everything but this 1 particular drive, getting a "Failed to attach mirror devices for disk copy" error message when doing so. After a decent amount of fruitless searching for a solution to that issue, I figured that I could create a new hard disk and copy the data over and remove the troublesome hard disk but when I go to create a new 600GB hard drive on a new, empty 4TB datastore, I get "Insufficient disk space on datastore ''."

At this point I have to assume there is something wrong with this particular VM but I'm at a loss as to where to start with my troubleshooting. It looks like it was a physical to virtual conversion at some point but it happened well before I got here and it's the typical "the guy who knew it best left the company" scenario. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Are you able to expand the other VMs in the environment.

Please check your storage side, maybe your storage pool from where you are provisioning LUNs are full, maybe because storage LUNs also provisioned in Thin.

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi asarobbins and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Can you confirm what version of ESXi and vCenter you are running?

Thanks and kind regards.

0 Kudos
asarobbins
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi and vCenter are both 6.0.0

I'm able to expand drives on other VMs using the same datastore and I'm also able to create new disks on that new, empty datastore on other VMs. It really does seem to be an issue with that VM.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Did you check if the vm has snapshot?

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
asarobbins
Contributor
Contributor

I did, there are no snapshots.