VMware Cloud Community
sibaker
Contributor
Contributor

How do I upgrade our esxi free edition hosts to esentials and or into V-Center Server

Hi.

Can anyone help me with what I need to do to upgrade our 4 esxi free edition servers to esentials or basically how to get them integrated with our V-Center Server ?

I read that esentials can only be used with 3 servers is that right ? and if so what options do I have for the 4th server or all of them for that matter?

Many thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Changing the edition is basically only a matter of assigning/entering the proper license key, so that's easy.

However, Essentials editions are not appropriate for more than 3 hosts.

If you need more than 3 hosts, you'll have to use ESXi Standard edition, or higher. The latest versions of vCenter Server Foundation support up to 4 hosts, so you may at least not need the vCenter Server Standard edition, and save some money on that.

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

1. Change the License key from free vSphere Hypervisor to vSphere Essentials ESXi (goes on the fly, no reboot needed) directly on the host

2. Join to the vCenter Essentials Server

Iam not sure if you can change keys during the join if you start directly with step 2. It will works when starting with 1.

The vCenter Essentials only accept Host with Eval License or Essentials ESXi licensing.

Yes,

the vSphere Essential or Essentials Bundle contains vCenter Essentials which is limited to 3 Hosts.

So you have 4 different Options

1. Join 3 Hosts and let 4th. as a standalone one with (free) vSphere ESXi

2. Join 2-3 Hosts and buy a 2nd. Essentials Bundle with vCenter for the other 1-2 Hosts. No you cant join the vCenter Servers

3. Buy a vCenter Foundation (max. 4Hosts) and single vSphere ESXi 1 CPU Licenses for your 4 Hosts

4. Buy a vCenter Standard (unlimited Hosts) and single vSphere ESXi 1 CPU Licenses for your 4 Hosts

For the 4 option you can buy a Accelerator Kit and additional Lics for the last Host.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
sibaker
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help guy's - so I have choices which is great.

I should have explained that the company has V-Center server already in the US and our office is in the UK - So.. is it just a case then of upgrading the free licences on our hosts to a standard edition which we can then connect to via the US V-Center server setup ?

Many thanks I really appreciate this as I have to come up with a plan and costings on how best to do this.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

If they have the right vCenter edition than its possible. Stable Internet connection will also helps Smiley Happy

For company like yours there is a Edition called "RoBo" (RemoteOffice BranchOffice)

- max. 25running  VMs per Robo (Site)

- The 25 can be divided into smaler pieces like 5x5 or 1x10+15x1. The later once gives you 16 Sites with up to 3 Hosts each

- up to 3 Hosts on Robo (Site)

- vCenter Standard must already in place (central HQ)

But you talked about 4 Hosts and most likely you have already more the 25 running VMs so buying single vSphere ESXi 1 CPU lics will be your only choice. The ESXi lics can be "Standard" or "Enterprise Plus".

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I should have explained that the company has V-Center server already in the US and our office is in the UK - So.. is it just a case then of upgrading the free licences on our hosts to a standard edition which we can then connect to via the US V-Center server setup ?

Although this would technically work, the performance is going to be downright horrible with respect to manageability and I would recommend against it. For distances that great, you should have a separate vCenter at that site and optionally connect the two vCenters in Linked Mode.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

We have a vCenter in central europe and joined Hosts which are located in jakarta (indonesia). As always....."it depends" Smiley Happy

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos