VMware Communities
MarkandLeo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual machines won't open, but why?

I'm using a 13-inch 2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro (MacBookPro9,2). I have VMware Fusion 11.0.1. This is a problem I also experienced on my previous version (I think it was 8.x?).

Whenever I try to open a virtual machine, it throws two errors:

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 6.48.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 6.48.30 PM.png

What do these errors mean and how do I fix them?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The error itself means the hypervisor can’t be loaded into memory. vmmon is the actual ‘hypervisor’ part of the hypervisor, and relies on a series of kernel extensions to load properly.

The error indicates that the vmmon kernel extension itself (which we lovingly call ‘the monitor’) is not loading into memory.

This can happen for a few reasons, and the most common today is the security settings that Mojave imposes.

So our team is always going to check that first, please don’t feel belittled by it. We don’t know your technical prowess before asking Smiley Wink

Other times this can happen when upgrading if a KEXT doesn’t unload in time before the new one needs to get loaded when the app launches (we load kexts dynamically and unload them when the app quits). Usually a reboot can fix that, sometimes a re-install is needed.

I’ve also seen weird reports of permissions messing things up, and you have to actually drag the Fusion.app onto the Desktop and then back to /Applications to reset an invalid ACL value.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi MarkandLeo,

Please check the System Preferences==>Security & Privacy==>general, make sure the choice of "Allow apps downloaded from" is App Store and identified developers.

Also, try to reboot the host after the installation of Fusion and see if it helps.

I hope it helps.

-Rick

0 Kudos
MarkandLeo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already turned off Gatekeeper so I could allow apps from anywhere, so that doesn't apply.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The error itself means the hypervisor can’t be loaded into memory. vmmon is the actual ‘hypervisor’ part of the hypervisor, and relies on a series of kernel extensions to load properly.

The error indicates that the vmmon kernel extension itself (which we lovingly call ‘the monitor’) is not loading into memory.

This can happen for a few reasons, and the most common today is the security settings that Mojave imposes.

So our team is always going to check that first, please don’t feel belittled by it. We don’t know your technical prowess before asking Smiley Wink

Other times this can happen when upgrading if a KEXT doesn’t unload in time before the new one needs to get loaded when the app launches (we load kexts dynamically and unload them when the app quits). Usually a reboot can fix that, sometimes a re-install is needed.

I’ve also seen weird reports of permissions messing things up, and you have to actually drag the Fusion.app onto the Desktop and then back to /Applications to reset an invalid ACL value.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF