VMware Communities
xtal256
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mouse flickers when changing cursor

Hello all,

Today I upgraded VMware tools and noticed an annoying issue with my mouse cursor. Whenever it transitions from one cursor to another (e.g. pointer to text cursor, pointer to hand) it disappears for a brief moment. This is difficult to explain, so I've made an animation:

Mouse.gif

In addition to this, the mouse will occasionally jump to the top left of the screen and come out of the guest (un-grab) as if I have pressed Ctrl+Alt.

And when I do have mouse in the host, it sometimes requires two clicks to get it back into the guest.

Initially, I made the mistake of uninstalling the PS/2 mouse driver, as I thought I did not need it (mouse is plugged into USB). However, I then remembered that VMware emulates a PS/2 mouse and I need that driver for optimum performance.

Unfortunately, the problem persisted even after re-installing that. I also tried a complete uninstall and re-install of VMware tools, but to no avail.

My details

Host: Windows 10 Pro, v1809

Guest: Windows 7 Pro, SP1

VMware Workstation: 15.0.1 build-10737736

VMware tools: 10.3.2 build-9925305

Mouse drivers:

Devices.png

VMware Pointing Device: version 12.5.7.0, date 2015-12-18

Edit: I found that it only happens when using dual monitors in fullscreen. There is no flicker if I just use the VM in a window or fullscreen on a single monitor.

I also tried on another Windows 7 VM, with an older version of VMware tools (10.1.6 build-5214329), and the flicker does not happen. So it seems to be an introduced bug.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
4 Replies
xtal256
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem still happens in the latest VMware tools, 10.3.5-10430147. I installed an older version (10.1.7-5541682) and the problem went away. I will stick with this older version until the bug is fixed.

0 Kudos
xtal256
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do the VMware developers watch this forum? How can I get this reported as a bug?

0 Kudos
Martin_Forster_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
xtal256
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that the issue is now fixed for me in 10.3.10.

0 Kudos