VMware Cloud Community
samjbentley
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot properties, why are they per snapshot rather than VM?

I'm trying to write a view that lists all snapshots, which is simple enough, but I want to show the creator, description and name of the snapshot. I can't figure out how to easily add this property to the 'Data' of the view as the property is per snapshot, rather than per VM.

Keep in mind I'm very new to vROps and don't fully understand the product yet.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't there be a 'parent' property under Disk Space that lists the creator, description and snapshot rather than a property that is explicitly linked to the snapshot?

The environment I'm working in is running vROps 6.6

vROps Snaps.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

It is just the nature of snapshots.

Each snapshot for a vm can be:

1. Have disks on different datastores
  2. Have more than one snapshot
  3. have more than one creator
  4. created on different dates

That is why it is structured the way it is. Trying to get that info into a view that is dynamic is impossible as each metric/property is specific to the VM and disk it is on. I am guessing you picked a specific VM that had a snapshot using the box next to the properties/metric drop down. Doing this will show the specific metrics that only that VM will have so adding them to the view will show blanks for all other vms.

Hope this explains it and helps

0 Kudos
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

I believe it can be done, but have not tested it. There is a feature called "Add instance breakdown column", under "group by", that I believe can fix your problem.

You can take a look at how I used it to create a dashboard for CDP data, taken care of multiple nics in a host (without knowing the actual number of nics or anything else for that matter)

https://michaelryom.dk/vrops-dashboard-host-network-connectivity-insight/

Have a look at it and hopefully it will help you fix your problem.

Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
0 Kudos