VMware Communities
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can't share Mac printer with Windows in VMWare Fusion 11

With VMWare Fusion 11 (macOS 10.13.6) running either Windows 7 or 10, I am no longer able to print to my Brother MFC printer. (The printer does not appear as a choice in the Windows print dialog.)

In VMWare Fusion > Virtual Machine > Settings > Printer I have "Share printers with Windows" checked.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Brother software.

I would be very grateful for a solution.

Thank you,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Parveen1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Two questions:

1. The printer is a Network printer or a USB printer?

2. With Fusion 11, the Thin-Print services are no longer part of VMware tools, so did you install Virtual Printer?

In any case, after installing Virtual Printer, your printer should be available in Windows side.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Parveen1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Two questions:

1. The printer is a Network printer or a USB printer?

2. With Fusion 11, the Thin-Print services are no longer part of VMware tools, so did you install Virtual Printer?

In any case, after installing Virtual Printer, your printer should be available in Windows side.

0 Kudos
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi @FedEx-20,

Sorry for the long delay in my reply.

Thank you for the tip about installing Virtual Printer -- that did it. (In case it matters, the printer is connected to my computer via WiFi. I'm not sure if that means it is a USB printer or a network one.)

David

0 Kudos
LTChuong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem after upgrading to fusion 11 from fusion 10.  I can't seem to print on my brothers MFC Printer that's connected via wifi on my MacBook Pro 16.

I've installed VM tools several times and then tried clicking on the install "virtual printer". It does nothing when I click on install virtual printer.  Any help is much appreciated as this has gotten way to frustrating.

thank you.

L.T.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I see you resolved your issue: Can't print after install fusion 11.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
QuietSoft
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clicking on Virtual Machine-->Install Virtual Printer just loads the virtual printer installer .exe in the D:\ drive inside the Windows guest OS with only an audible indication that anything happened.  You then have to run the installer.  The documentation could be improved to clarify this step.

0 Kudos
jgbrownlaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wait, what?  I'm having the exact same problem.  Run the installer?  From where?  From Windows?  or VMWare?  Or Mac?  Where is it?  What installer?

0 Kudos
rich1000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It took me a second to figure it out.

As mentioned, in VMWare Fusion Menu (on your mac) with your Windows VM booted up, go to: Virtual Machine > Install Virtual Printer.

In Windows a dialogue will pop up saying to install the virtual printer software from Drive 😧

Just click the Open Folder to View Files. You should see a Virtual-Printer-1.1.xx Application there that you can then run. It'll run the installer in Windows and then ask you to reboot. Once that happens, the Printer shows up again and works in Windows.

Obviously ensure that your printer on your Mac is selected and tested to work correctly first.

0 Kudos