2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2018 9:20 AM by lukelloydCIS

Windows 10 Template Fails; Windows Could not Finish Configuring the System

ChrisC6 Lurker

I have a windows 10 template, installed the Guest Agent and have a cert.pem.  The guest agent service is running and all the logs look fine, comparing it to another working template and it looks similar.

When I request this Windows 10 template from vRA, the allocation succeeds but the provisioning was taking a while. I went to the vCenter and could see the new windows 10 machine. When opening the console I notices an 'Install Windows' box, with "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer".

On vRA, when the machine eventually fails, it says Timeout Customizing Machine

Am I missing something, why would this be happening?

Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks

• 1. Re: Windows 10 Template Fails; Windows Could not Finish Configuring the System
          Robert ¯\_ツ_/¯ Enthusiast

Hello!

This looks like a SysPrep problem. Can you check the logs at C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Panther ?

Robert

Drink coffee.. Do stupid things faster with more energy...
          • 2. Re: Windows 10 Template Fails; Windows Could not Finish Configuring the System
            lukelloydCIS Lurker

As Robert has already said it is a Windows sysprep problem, you can look at the logs on the VM before it gets destroyed to get more detail into what is failing.

In order to help your troubleshooting I would deploy a VM from the template withing vCenter (bypassing vRA for now) as you should get the same error but not have the issue of vRA destroying it just as you are looking through the logs.

If I were to hazard a guess I would actually say the issue lies in the customisation spec within vCenter. Check to make sure the settings are valid, especially around license key and/or Administrator password/auto-login. It can sometimes help to download the customisation spec xml file and check the tags to make sure nothing contradicts.

The sysprep log will tell you (in Microsoft talk) what is wrong though.