VMware Communities
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Has anyone found a reason to spend $150 to upgrade to WS Pro 15 from WS Pro 14, particularly on Linux

I am uncertain whether to upgrade to WS 14 to WS 15 on Linux.   It does not seem that compatibility with the newest kernels is an issue anymore as I am running WS 14 on Kernel 4.19 on both Fedora 30 (Rawhide) and Kubuntu 18.10 without any problem.   It's also running on Gnome 3.30 (as I remember running the install bundle actually default to the CLI).   I did run a trial version of 15 for a few days but reverted to 14 and had to destroy all VMs created under 15.   Could not find a reason to upgrade (although I guess I would is running under Windows)

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Reply
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

be happy if it runs stable on Fedora and 4.19.x at all, that's here not the case even with WS

but your question is pretty dumb in a long term - just because *now* you are lcuky that it works with the newest kernel does not mean the same for 4.20, 4.21 and so on as well as nobody but you knows why you have to delete with WS15 created VMs to continue running with 14.x - it's your choice in which compatibility mode you create a VM and when younning trails where you are not sure if you ever upgrade and set it to 15 is, well, dumb

0 Kudos