VMware Cloud Community
keeksike00001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.7u1 RMRR overlaps system memory

Hi,

When trying to install ESXi 6.7u1 on SuperMicro SYS-5019A-FTN4 I get following error as soon as installer UI comes up (graphical progress bar appears with black/yellow background). Don't have same problem with ESXi 6.7. Any ideas?

iKVM_capture.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sumonchai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Select the following two settings in Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI):

1. System Settings, Devices and I/O ports, PCI 64-Bit Resource Allocation to Disabled.
  2. System Settings, Devices and I/O ports, MM Config Base memory window to 3 GB.

IBM System x3250 M5

fix :

1. System Settings, Devices and I/O ports, MM Config Base memory window to 3 GB.  Only Passed.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please update the firmware before installing the ESXi 6.7U1 and also check the compatibility.

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

In order to understand about RMRR errors (please check this link).

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
shavenne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've the same problem with an Intel DBS1200SPSR.

Firmware is up-to-date. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Intel S1200SPSR does not appear on the HCL.

0 Kudos
shavenne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, well... but maybe someone has still a solution for that.

It's not a production system here. It's my server at home so I usually don't care if its on HCL or not as it almost works.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The point being that systems that aren't on the HCL may not work at all. An RMRR error refers to PCI device functions accessing ESXi reserved memory spaces, so it could be an incompatibility with a device you've plugged into the board, or it may be an error with the built-in devices on that board itself. YMMV when you use unsupported hardware, irrespective of whether you want to get support from VMware or not.

0 Kudos
shavenne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm aware of that. But 6.7.0 works absolutely fine without any crashes. It's just on 6.7U1 so it may be some BIOS/UEFI setting or something in the configuration of ESXi which I could change or something similar. So maybe someone has an idea.

I'm not expecting anything from the support of VMware.. I'm basically asking the community here.

0 Kudos
Sumonchai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Select the following two settings in Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI):

1. System Settings, Devices and I/O ports, PCI 64-Bit Resource Allocation to Disabled.
  2. System Settings, Devices and I/O ports, MM Config Base memory window to 3 GB.

IBM System x3250 M5

fix :

1. System Settings, Devices and I/O ports, MM Config Base memory window to 3 GB.  Only Passed.
keeksike00001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had no issues with identical hardware on 6.7 (have 4 identical servers in home lab, running without issues). With U1 however it gets the error. I tried the corresponding BIOS settings. So far no luck. Will try couple more options.

0 Kudos
keeksike00001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found correct corresponding BIOS setting and managed to get it booting now. Thanks for the info.

shavenne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you tell which setting it was?

0 Kudos
keeksike00001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please see attached screenshots. One is under north bridge settings under Chipset Configuration: MMIO Size / BMBOUND Base

Other is under PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration: Above 4G Decoding

0 Kudos
sabotage197
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have same problem and i have INTEL Intel S1200SPLR and this is HCL.

0 Kudos
zor0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

me too

0 Kudos
zor0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you solve the problem?

0 Kudos
zor0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you solve the problem?

0 Kudos
tndabone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On the Intel S1200SP series, I finally got things working by disabling VT-D (Under CPU Settings, disable Intel VT for directed I/O).

You lose the ability for hardware passthru, but something is broken with u1 vs 6.7 original.

This seems to affect alot of different motherboards, looking around I saw some people with supermicro, and a lenovo.

enghausen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Just got it working today. I have two Intel® Server Board S1200SPL and all you need to do is update the BIOS/Firmware. I used this one Download Intel® Server Board S1200SP BIOS and Firmware Update Package for EFI - If you look at the release note for the BIOS 03.01.D0041, we can also confirm that disable VT for Directed I/O solved the problem.

"

================================================================================

KNOWN ISSUES/WORKAROUND

================================================================================

FEATURES ADDED/REMOVED

03.01.R0042

1. Production Sign

03.01.D0042

1. [HSD-ES][1507017816]PSIRT - FW-UEFI-Vuln-2018-038 BIOS does not set TCO_BASE_LOCK

03.01.D0041

1. [HSD-ES][1507017816]PSIRT - FW-UEFI-Vuln-2018-038 BIOS does not set TCO_BASE_LOCK

2. [HSD-ES][2103624154]Boot into ESXi6.7u1 after enable "VT for Directed I/O", system would hang with purple srcreen.

================================================================================"

Follow this guide: Demo for Performing Firmware Update on EFI* Shell Intel® Server Board...  and you will be up and running in no time, with VT-D enabled! 🙂

0 Kudos
Mohammed4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I have got the same error message RMRR when I tried to install ESXI 6.5 , 6,7 on System x3250 M4. I have tried you solution but I have not find the option on the UEFI. What should I do?

//Mohammed

llins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a same type of System x3250 M4. What I can do is install the previous version before 6.7u1.

0 Kudos