VMware Cloud Community
marcelpan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

update

i have vcenter 6.0 and 10 esxi 6.0 cluster and 7 vsan cluster .  i have one vcenter so i have 2 cluster . now i will upgarde vcenter version to 6.5 u2 and esxi but i will not upgrade vsan cluster ( maybe 8-9 months after vsan cluster can cancel the existing vcenter environment ) Would it be okay if I didn't upgrade the esxi  in the vsan cluster also vsan ?

so I want to upgrade only vcenter and non vsan cluster.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello marcelpan​,

Why do you not want to (or can't) upgrade the vSAN cluster to 6.5 U2 also?

And also, why do you want/need to update the vCenter to 6.5 U2 (without updating the hosts)?

If you do this there is one issue you will encounter regarding vSAN capacity overview (Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > Capacity) - this won't report used capacity correctly if the vCenter is 6.5 U2 and the hosts are on a lower version:

"vSAN capacity monitor shows lower Used Capacity than actual capacity used

After you upgrade vCenter Server to 6.5 Update 2, the vSAN capacity monitor (Monitor > vSAN > Capacity) does not include capacity used by virtual machines on hosts running 6.5 Update 1 or older. The Used Capacity displayed is lower than the actual capacity used.

This issue is resolved in this release."

VMware vCenter Server 6.7 Update 1 Release Notes

Other than this, I am not aware of any issues so yes you can do this but do note the above.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello marcelpan​,

Why do you not want to (or can't) upgrade the vSAN cluster to 6.5 U2 also?

And also, why do you want/need to update the vCenter to 6.5 U2 (without updating the hosts)?

If you do this there is one issue you will encounter regarding vSAN capacity overview (Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > Capacity) - this won't report used capacity correctly if the vCenter is 6.5 U2 and the hosts are on a lower version:

"vSAN capacity monitor shows lower Used Capacity than actual capacity used

After you upgrade vCenter Server to 6.5 Update 2, the vSAN capacity monitor (Monitor > vSAN > Capacity) does not include capacity used by virtual machines on hosts running 6.5 Update 1 or older. The Used Capacity displayed is lower than the actual capacity used.

This issue is resolved in this release."

VMware vCenter Server 6.7 Update 1 Release Notes

Other than this, I am not aware of any issues so yes you can do this but do note the above.

Bob

0 Kudos
marcelpan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks you are cool !

0 Kudos