VMware Cloud Community
Rbjohnsongtl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSphere HA Geo-Reduntant

Hi,

I've been tasked with getting a new environment that will have our main production site and a DR site that will take over all VMs if we have our main site go down. We are getting the vsphere enterprise license so I believe we have all that we need. Along with a vmax EMC to handle the SAN at both sites. I just want to make sure there is no other licensing or additions I'm going to need  To get this working. It appears I will be using vsphere metro service for the SAN and HA across the spanned cluster. Sound right?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vMSC is what you'll be using, yes, but this is easier said than done as there are lots of requirements and caveats here, because we're talking about synchronous storage replication. So have you done all your due diligence to ensure you can do sync replication?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vMSC is what you'll be using, yes, but this is easier said than done as there are lots of requirements and caveats here, because we're talking about synchronous storage replication. So have you done all your due diligence to ensure you can do sync replication?

0 Kudos
Rbjohnsongtl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For sure. I was hoping I would find someone that has done the same thing and could give me some insight on the caveats. What I have to look out for and/or a hey, make sure you have this or that setup first. I guess as long as I know I have all the stuff I need, we will go this direction and it may just take a while be fore we get there.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've done this a couple times, and each time it's really been an "it depends" situation because it's *highly* dependant upon your storage vendor, your interconnect, and their specifications. So, I'm sure you've probably done this, but you really need to research this carefully with that VNX, read all the EMC docs, probably open a SR if you have any questions. From a vSphere perspective, it's fairly straightforward but you will need to make some HA tweaks to understand the vMSC topology. Several blogs on this as well as covered in the official docs. Overall, largest thing is to ensure you have adequate site interconnect, latency is low (what is it?), and you've done all the calculations to understand how this will/won't scale.

0 Kudos
Rbjohnsongtl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would you be able to point me in the right direction as far as the HA tweaks you are talking about. I wan't to make sure I have everything laid out before I start building things out. I've worked with HA before, so I have some understanding of it, but if there are specific tweaks for for vMSC that you've done, these would be very helpful if you gave me a brief walkthrough or general concept. I'll research all that I can. Also, I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

0 Kudos