VMware Horizon Community
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

RDS Farm Sizing

What is preferable for say 80 users, 1 rdsh server for 150 users using say 8 vcpus and 32gbm of ram, 2 rdsh users for 75 users per server say 4 vCPUs and 16gb of memory, or 4 rdsh server for 38 users a piece using say 2 vCPUs and 8gb of memory. In general should we create more rdsh servers for smaller numbers, or try to keep with higher numbers. My enviornment is growing, but in what I'm finding out is not normal. I am up to currently 15 different desktop pools or rdsh farms, all with less then 100 users assigned to them., some as small as just 5 desktops max being available.

The virutal desktops aspect is running  much better than in the past, but I'm seeing issues with too many people logging in at once, and trying to decide against a bigger rdsh server or more smaller ones.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The "smaller" you get you have to account for OS overhead for each server. The downside for going bigger is If 1 server with 150 users hitting the same disk will require much more IOPS then having smaller servers spread across multiple vmfs volumes.

150 users on 1 rdsh server is really nothing if running simple non-resource intense applications. What really matters is the workload/IO you're running. Without knowing your applications, I would do two servers for redundancy in the event one goes offline or you need to patch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The "smaller" you get you have to account for OS overhead for each server. The downside for going bigger is If 1 server with 150 users hitting the same disk will require much more IOPS then having smaller servers spread across multiple vmfs volumes.

150 users on 1 rdsh server is really nothing if running simple non-resource intense applications. What really matters is the workload/IO you're running. Without knowing your applications, I would do two servers for redundancy in the event one goes offline or you need to patch.

HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

this is correct 100%  and because of this the safe number for RDSH 50 user per server and user VROPS to know the workload

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thanks guys, I'm running about 50-60 on each server now, with about 60-80% cpu utilization. My concern, especially because I'm using a hybrid array and not a all flash array, is when multiple login. I'm running 6 rdsh servers right now just to handle the 150 or so users which is alot, but I think its needed.

0 Kudos