VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ESXi upgrade using VUM

Hi,

As a first step should I upgrade the firmware for the network cards, HBA's etc.. by using the manufacturer bootable ISO via idrac/iLO ?

Do I need to backup any configuration for the host before using VUM to upgrade the host? How will the configuration be re-applied on the new ESXi version?

Let me know if you have any good references that lists the above process in detail.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check this reference for upgrading ESXi:
Before Upgrading ESXi Hosts

It's a common practice to backup your ESXi host configuration, in the case the upgrade is unsuccessful you can restore host configuration data.
VMware Knowledge Base

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check this reference for upgrading ESXi:
Before Upgrading ESXi Hosts

It's a common practice to backup your ESXi host configuration, in the case the upgrade is unsuccessful you can restore host configuration data.
VMware Knowledge Base

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As a first step should I upgrade the firmware for the network cards, HBA's etc.. by using the manufacturer bootable ISO via idrac/iLO ?

Yes, it is good to upgrade the firmware using the manufacturer bootable ISO.

Do I need to backup any configuration for the host before using VUM to upgrade the host? How will the configuration be re-applied on the new ESXi version?

It is good to take the configuration backup, but at the same time, if there is any issue you can boot your ESXi to the pre-upgrade version by going to DCUI, follow the KB for it

Let me know if you have any good references that lists the above process in detail.

Regarding the step by step process, follow this link

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
marioxherrera
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading firmware it's definitely more delicate than upgrading drivers (at least in my opinion), so take extra measures, however it shouldn't be big deal. Always validate compatibility between firmware and current driver version with vendor information.

Usually this is not done through VUM, however you can definately do it also through ESXi SSH Session, usually each vendor provide you with firmware upgrade/install utility that can be installed on your ESXi host, then you will be able to upgrade firmware by following the instructions provided by each vendor. This applies for HBAs, Ethernet and other devices.

Usually you have redundancy and during maintenances you will vMotion all your servers to another ESXi hosts in your environment, this will allow you to do health checks after doing the maintenance before you rebalance your cluster. If upgrading HBA's, make sure to check storage adapters that depend on your HBAs, also path health, datastores mapped through FC and so on, always look for errors and events.

Cheer,

Mario

0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thank you for all your responses, so as a next step is there any command (esxcli/powercli) that I can run on a host that would print all the Network cards and HBA firmware version so I can compare pre/post firmware upgrade?

This would also be useful as I need to check each network card/HBA model against the VMware HCL to make sure it is compatible with the ESXi I want to upgrade to (6.5U2) and at the same time verify that I meet the firmware version needed. (I would think that by installing the latest vendor available firmware for all components would be fine to meet the firmware requirements for ESXi 6.5U2.

On the HCL if I enter an example of a PERC H730Mini and select 6.5U2 from drop down,  is the listed firmware version the minimum or does it have to be that one specific for the respective driver?

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

0 Kudos