VMware Communities
rakshak_r
Contributor
Contributor

Webcam performance inside VM

I am getting (approx)1 frame a sec on my webcam's video stream when I open it using an application inside my VM. It this expected behavior or is there something I can do to improve my framerate?

Details:

• I am running VMware 11 on a 2017 MacBook Pro.
  • The VM is Linux Mint 19. It has 8 Gigs of RAM and 2 Processor Cores
  • I am checking the webcam using Cheese Webcam Booth. 
  • I have VMware Tools installed.

Let me know if you need any more details about my setup!

Cheers.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi rakshak_r,

This is a known issue, the dev team is working on it.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
rakshak_r
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have an ETA on the fix?

Cheers

Brickbazooka
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this issue? I am experiencing the same issue

Regards

Andy

bighuskysf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are now over a year later and the issue is still not addressed in latest 11.5.x release

can we assume VMware has no interest in fixing it?

fyi, no such issue with either parallels nor virtualbox.

other posts have gone unanswered. An update would be very appreciated.

bighuskysf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another year has passed and situation is completely unchanged, even with 12.1.0 on latest OS versions and latest hardware.

Linux as guest is getting practically 0 support from VMware for Fusion (Unlike Windows or MacOS).

IsaiahvH
Contributor
Contributor

For me this issue still exists, running VM Fusion 12 on macOS Big Sur; fitting the description as in the first post of this thread.

This is a problem for me, experiments rely on the webcam usage. Is there any known fix or ETA?

DRoman1
Contributor
Contributor

This is ridiculous already. @VMware please fix this? 

fuvimos
Contributor
Contributor

This bug still exists in Fusion 12.2.4. I tried the workaround described here, but it didn't fix the isse for me:

https://superuser.com/questions/1648046/how-to-fix-low-webcam-fps-in-vmware-fusion

Has anyone tried if Fusion Public Tech Preview 22H2 fixes this issue?

0 Kudos
fuvimos
Contributor
Contributor

In the meantime, I tried the Public Tech Preview 22H2 and also upgraded the hardware version from 19 to 20. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the bug.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If you experienced this when using the Tech Preview, please report it. The Tech Preview forum main page and the Tech Preview Testing Guide both tell you how to report issues with the release.

I would suggest using the email address fusion-beta@vmware.com as that goes directly to the product manager and the developers. Be prepared to submit as much detail about the problem and your configuration as you can, not just "this doesn't work".

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
fuvimos
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion. I just sent a bug report to the e-mail address you provided.

0 Kudos
bighuskysf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good Luck. We've done that with every previous tech preview and other feedback ways. The result from VMware is always the same. Absolute silence, no replies and as we have now seen over the years, no changes/fixes. Very sad from such a company..

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, VMware doesn't really communicate well about bugs and even if they're acknowledged (unless, I guess if you have a paid support contract). It's a shame they let their corporate "we can't say anything about when things will appear because of legal/compliance issues because we're a public company" (ahem. BS) get in the way of communicating with customers about when problems impacting user productivity will be fixed. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
fuvimos
Contributor
Contributor

It's interesting to read about your experience. I will wait if I get a reply and, if not, I won't waste my time by submitting more bug reports.

While I like Fusion very much overall, I am nevertheless experiencing several bugs. If VMWare is also rather nonresponsive as you say, then I will probably rule out a VM for productive use.

0 Kudos
Clemond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have opened a support case with VMWare since I have a support contract (with 2 other bugs I found)

Will see what they say

Before they fix it I have to use Parallels Desktop. Video conferencing works pretty good with it

0 Kudos
bighuskysf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Was very hopeful for the new 13 release and sadly, absolutely no change on my equipment. Very underwhelming release and yet a big paying one. Not upgrading at this point and exploring other alternatives now.

0 Kudos
Clemond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a paid contract. Their support personnel for licensing is awesome. 

For tech side it is a disaster at least for now...

0 Kudos