2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2018 8:54 AM by erikmaaloe

Fusion 11 Pro on Mojave: vmtoolsd.exe not running

erikmaaloe Lurker

After upgrading to Fusion 11 Pro on macOS 10.14 Mojave VMware Tools are installed / upgraded, but vmtoolsd.exe is faulting on my Windows VM (Windows 10 1803 Enterprise 64-bit).

Windows Event Viewer reports:

Faulting application name: vmtoolsd.exe, version: 10.3.2.6765, time stamp: 0x5b8e5894

Faulting module name: vmtools.dll, version: 10.3.2.6765, time stamp: 0x5b8e581a

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000010007

Faulting process id: 0x1f68

VMware Tools are partly running, but missing features like copy/paste.

Any help or workarounds will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Fusion 11 Pro on Mojave: vmtoolsd.exe not running
          Parveen1988 Enthusiast

Hi There,

Looks like the some of the tool files are missing.

First make sure you take a backup or create a snapshot of the current state.

Now, tell me, what is the status of the "VMware tools" when you go to the Fusion Menu Bar-Virtual Machine

If it still says, "Install VMware tools" that means the tools have not been installed properly.

1. Go to Services.msc and see if VMware Tools is running, I assume it's not. See if you could restart it.

2. If this doesn't resolve your issue, then you need to delete VMware tools manually.

3 Uninstall VMware tools from control panel.

4. Delete VMware tools folders from below locations on the VM(mind, you might have to really focus with mouse because Mouse would behave waywardly.

C:/Program Files, ProgramData, AppData/Local/Roaming.

5. Restart the VM.

6. Install VM tools.

This should resolve your issue.

• 2. Re: Fusion 11 Pro on Mojave: vmtoolsd.exe not running
            erikmaaloe Lurker

Hi,

It worked. But I had to go through all the steps, including manually deleting the VMware folders.

Many thanks for the help!