1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2019 3:13 PM by Dempseyy93

Windows Search, Agent 2.14

SchwarzC Enthusiast

This is more of a informational post, since the Update to 2.14 (from 2.13) we had problems with our Windows Search service (WSearch) (our config before: enabled, startup: automatic). At computer start-up the Windows Search was running but the startup type was set to disabled, this caused problems with Outlook 2016 and the live search was not working. We couldn`t figured out what caused the issue and no GPO or UEM LogIn Script you change this back.

After Investigation we figured out that in the the new agent (2.14) there are new (undocumented) changes and 2 new Registry Key where added.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CloudVolumes\WSearch

ServiceStartNeeded=1 (dword) - default 0

StartType=2 (dword) - default 0

These two are controlling the Windows Search and we have set them to the above for our config.

Best regards

• 1. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
          FPSRoland Lurker

Hello,

We have the same issue and we tried your solution but it does not work.

After modifying the registry keys and restarting the service, the values of both keys are reset to 0.

How do you set the value on the reg keys ? In the master image or GPO,…?

• 2. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
            SchwarzC Enthusiast

Hi FPSRoland,

we implemented it as a Computer GPO - we did not touch the Golden Image:

ActionUpdate

Properties

HiveHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
            Key pathSOFTWARE\CloudVolumes\WSearch
            Value nameStartType
            Value typeREG_DWORD
            Value data0x2 (2)

ActionUpdate

Properties

HiveHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
            Key pathSOFTWARE\CloudVolumes\WSearch
            Value nameServiceStartNeeded
            Value typeREG_DWORD
            Value data0x1 (1)

Best regards

• 3. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
              FPSRoland Lurker

Which version of Windows do you have?
              (we have Window 10 LTSB)

• 4. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                SchwarzC Enthusiast

1703 Windows 10 64bit non LTSB

• 5. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                  VDINinja311 Enthusiast

SchwarzC

Thank you for this post! We upgraded from 2.13.2 to 2.14.2 just last week and found this issue today.

Just now getting around to testing out the Computer GPO like you posted.

• 6. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                    VDINinja311 Enthusiast

SchwarzC

After setting a GPO to set these keys and it didn't fix the issue like yours did, we did some more troubleshooting and figured out this issue doesn't exist when any appstacks are attached to the user. We logged into the same linked clone desktops with the same AV 2.14.2 agent with no AppStacks attached and this is no longer an issue. The Windows Search service isn't disabled and no issues with the search indexer appear. We are going to determine if all of them are doing this, or if just one AppStack is. More to follow.

• 7. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                      VMMaha Enthusiast

We had the same issue. After setting the "Windows Search" service to manual on Golden Image, Outlook search started working. OS: Win10 LTSB, Outlook 2013, App volume 2.14

• 8. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                        VDINinja311 Enthusiast

maharajan.be

No other changes were needed? Just simply changing to Manual on Master Image did it?

• 9. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                          mana1 Lurker

Yep, I didn't make any other changes other than setting "Windows Search" service to manual on Golden/Master image.

• 10. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                            VDINinja311 Enthusiast

In our environment we believe the upgrade of the 2.13.2 to 2.14.2 agent on our Capture and Build VM (which we do all of our provisioning on) has made every AppStack update after the agent upgrade change the Windows Search service to disabled inside the AppStack, which has been causing our issues. We believe this is due to the new HKLM\Software\CloudVolumes\WSearch hive keys which upon the AV Agent starting on the Capture and Build VM is setting the Windows Search service to disabled, and provisioning is capturing that as a change.

We can update an AppStack that was previously updated using the 2.13.2 AV Agent and the Windows Search service is set to Automatic (Delayed Start) after it has been attached to a machine, but any AppStack that we update with the 2.14.2 AV Agent, the Windows Search service is set to Disabled after it has been attached to a machine.

Our workaround right now is to update the AppStack and in provisioning change the Windows Search service to Automatic (Delayed Start)

Anyone else experiencing this?

• 11. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                              bjartest Novice

We seem to be experiencing the same issues. We are running Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB with appvol agent 2.14.2. We have Office 2016 in base image and running instant clones. Roaming the ost file with UEM. With no appstacks attached Windows Search is set to Automatic (Delayed Start). If we attach appstacks made with 2.14.0 it gets disabled (but says running if I check under services). Problem is it doesnt add outlook to the indexer so it more or less breaks it. Attaching appstack made with 2.13 Windows Search is set to Automatic (Delayed Start). Outlook gets added to the indexer on startup but then I get the windows installer reconfigure on each outlook startup. If I recreate the indexer database outlook starts without reconfigure phase and indexing works.

• 12. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                                VDINinja311 Enthusiast

Update to our situation. We contacted VMware support and they confirmed that they have seen our issues before and to rebuild every appstack using the 2.14.2 template. So for right now as a workaround we are manually setting the Windows Search service to Automatic (Delayed Start) during provisioning. Unless we rebuild every appstack with 2.14.2, which is 40+ appstacks.

• 13. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                                  szilagyic Enthusiast

We just discovered this issue today.  So, was VMware telling you to go through and update your AppStacks, or do you have to rebuild each one from scratch?  I just went through ours, as re-saving them fixed some other problems we were having with 2.14.  I noticed that when I go to update any of our AppStacks, it disables the Windows Search service on the provisioning VM I'm using.

I have been trying the GPO mentioned in this thread to push out those two registry keys to our VMs in the pools as well as the VMs we use to provision the AppStacks with.  We do not want Windows Search disabled here at all, as our users heavily rely on it and it's causing a bunch of problems when the service is not running.

On the VM we use to provision the AppStacks, the registry values are being pushed to it just fine and the Windows Search service is running, but when I try to update an existing AppStack on it, the "preparing to provision... please wait" box comes up and stays there, and the process does not continue.  If I restart the AppVol service on this VM, it changes the values of the registry back to zero.  So far I'm stuck and cannot seem to get our provisioning VM working in order to update the AppStacks, if that is truly the fix?

Thanks for your help.

• 14. Re: Windows Search, Agent 2.14
                                    VDINinja311 Enthusiast

szilagyic

We found out that downgrading the AV Agent on the provisioning (capture and build) machine back down to 2.13.2 was also a workaround for this issue until we could rebuild all our appstacks with the 2.14.2 template. We have been running like this since we haven't rebuilt all of our appstacks with the 2.14.2 template yet.

1 2 3 Previous Next