VMware Cloud Community
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Performance VM vCPU and Memory - vROP

Goodnight

I have a client that has on its vROP platform. I made a report where I indicated to validate servers with maximum capacity exceeded, the report tells me that they have vCPU in excess, an example:

a VM with 10 vCPU assigned, VROP tells me that it can recover 5 vCPU, so I recommend leaving the VM with 5 vCPU.

I also have another report with VM with insufficient size, where it tells me that I should assign more memory resources.

Example: VM with 6 GB, vROP recommends me to add 1 GB and otherwise I have a VM with 8 GB and I recommend adding 4 GB.

A VM with workload at the memory level for a maximum of 5 minutes in 103.61% and 99.99% maximum in 1 day.

Is it recommended to assign or remove resources following the vROP recommendations or statistics?

Obviously I have to do a performance study, but the client has indicated that at the performance level their vM do not present any problems.

Please your comments.

ju
0 Kudos
6 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Vrops is very intelligent monitoring tool, it provides recommendation depending on all data that receives from object (vcneter) .

It analysis those data and then provide with recommendation.

Recommendations provided by vrops should be accurate, you can go with that.

Please mark this as correct if this answers and helps you .

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

my physical team has the following at the hardware level:

ntel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz

256 GB of RAM

But what recommendation would you follow, assign and remove resources according to the report you take in vROP?

Do I set individual alarms for each VM and set its thresholds to 90%?

Can I move VM with hardware requirements equal to a specific host?

ju
0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Capture.PNG

or should I assign vCPU x core

vCPU 4 with cores 1 = 4

vCPU 4 with cores 2 = 8

hyperthreading is disabled by what I see.

ju
0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

There are alarms in vrops which monitors VM performance and usage.

If the thresh hold is reached from VM , vrops will trigerr the alarm .

If there is high workload even that would be tracked.

If there is chance of running more VM's with available resource, this details are also shows on vrops .

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

but it is that also the report indicates that all the vm consume the 99 and 100% of memory, then that I add more memory to all the servers of the list?

ju
0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

What version of vrops are you using ? The reason being with vrops 6.7 there are some issues noticed with memory usage being Inaccurate on vrops .

If its vrops 6.7  please check below article:

VMware Knowledge Base

Also if you think if vrops is not showing correct details, then check out what memory related data is being shows on vsphere and from guest as well .

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos