VMware Cloud Community
thegreendrink
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate existing VApps and VMs to new vCenter and cluster resources

Hello,

I have a new 6.5 VCSA and new hosts 6.5 added to an existing vCD 8.2 environment that has been using a Windows vCenter 6.0 and old hardware (ESXi 6). I am looking for a way of migrating the existing vAPPS and VMs to the new vCenter/Hosts/resources. The storage is not shared, it can be if it makes it easier.

If anyone has any advice on how to migrate these it would be greatly appreciated?

I am investigating the use of the vCD Extender and using it to migrate from the old vCenter to the same existing vCD, if anyone has had experience with that, any guidance would be good?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mjha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So at the moment do you have 2 vCenters added in your VCD?

I think high level steps for this can be

You can create a new storage policy for datastores mounted on 6.5 host.

Create a new Org/vDC and add the newly added storage profile to new vDC

Create a new catalog for new org

Export all vApps from your old org to existing catalog and then allow publishing catalog option

Make new catalog subscriber of old catalog and sync all the vApps

Add all vApps from new catalog back to myCloud

If anyone have any other idea, please educate me on the same

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Manish Jha | Operations Support Engineer | vCloud Air Operations vExpert 2015-17 | vExpert-NSX | vExpert-Cloud | VCAP6-DCV | VCP6-DCV | RHCE-7 Website : http://vstellar.com
0 Kudos
thegreendrink
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback Manish.

I will look in to the option you have given and let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi there -

I know you're running 8.20 and I presume it's safe to say you're able to shut down the VM's too. However, the team has done a lot advances with move operations for powered off VM's. For example, I don't have a 8.20 lab, but from my vCD 9.5 lab, I can move powered off VM's/vApps between oVDC's. I believe a lot of this functionality was greatly improved in vCD 9.0 too. You might want to explore that -

pastedImage_0.png

Cheers,

-Daniel

0 Kudos