VMware Communities
wmeeske
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 14 random freeze couple of minutes

Hello,

I'm using VMware Workstation a lot on my company laptop (Dell Precision M4800 i7-4810MQ 2.80GHz with 32GB RAM running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64) for several job activities.

At some point I had VMware Workstation 12 running and using several VM's I noticed at random moments a total freeze of the whole VMware Workstation application causing all the running VM's to freeze as well. This freeze lasted for a couple of minutes and after that everything was running fine again (host + VM's). I have looked into several eventlog files, but I couldn't find any entries indicating somehow into the direction of this freezes. The freezing could happen a couple of times a day and sometimes the days go by without any freeze, so it's completely random.

Early this year my VMware Workstation was upgraded to version 14. I did hope this upgrade should fix my random freezing issue, but unfortunately it did not, the freezes are still showing up randomly :smileyconfused:

I did check this with our global IT department, but until now they don't have any idea what can be done about this freezing issue, as it seems I'm the only person who complains about this issue.

So now I'm trying to get some information using the VMware community hoping there is someone else facing the same issue or maybe know something about it, maybe this way I get more ways to troubleshoot my issue.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

How much RAM and how many virtual CPU's did you assign to that VM?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wmeeske
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Normally I use 1 or 2 CPU's and 4 GB RAM on my VM's. But I don't think this kind of settings have anything to do with my issue, as all running VM's with different settings freeze completely as VM Workstation (host) freezes randomly. Therefore I believe this issue is not specific VM related.

So I'm still struggling finding the real reason why I'm having this issue on my system.

Thanks anyway for your thinking and suggestion. Keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The VM CPU and RAM config on that type of machine should indeed by no problem and not causing any freezing.

A couple of ideas.

- you might want to run a hardware check. A failing disk might behave like this aound the time it starts to get bad. You mentioned to already have checked with IT and hunted around in the eventlog for reasons, so this isn't likely the problem.

- if you're using any kind of antivirus product, exclude the virtual machine disks from your antivirus product.

- if you've got external USB devices connected, try without and see if it still freezes.

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
godadada
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

In case this helps someone. I had the freezing issue and resolved by not installing the special keyboard driver from VMWare during the player installation.

Thanks

G

0 Kudos