VMware Communities
kich254
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

GPT Partition style issue on installation

I get this error when installing. I've installed other Windows OS without a problem except this Windows server 2016.

2018-09-28_12-11-05.jpg

I've also set to BIOS:

2018-09-28_12-10-42.jpg

Assistance will be very much appreciated:)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kich254
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Figured it out: the floppy drive in settings was the issue so i removed it. Installation went through:) The floppy disk option should be removed all together-my thoughts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If, as your image implies, you are using legacy BIOS for firmware the disk will need to use the MBR format partitioning scheme and not the GPT format partitioning scheme that the image implies it has. Basically legacy BIOS can only boot* an OS from an MBR partitioned disk.

Is this a virtual disk that you have reused or a new one?

* Once booted many OSes running on legacy BIOS can read and write to GPT partitioned disks.

0 Kudos
kich254
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a fresh virtual disk; a new setup. My issue is why din't the other installations bring this error? I have not set the drive to gpt. my host machine disk is MBR

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It may that the Server 2016 installer checks that the correct partitioning scheme is in use. I have found that the Windows 10 installer will allow installation to continue when pre-partitioned GPT disk is used with legacy BIOS with the result that the new installation will not boot.

The partition scheme of the host disk should not make any difference to the guest.

Have you tried creating another virtual disk for this VM or pre-partitioning the disk?

(I don't have access to Server 2016 media so I can't try this myself.)

0 Kudos
kich254
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Figured it out: the floppy drive in settings was the issue so i removed it. Installation went through:) The floppy disk option should be removed all together-my thoughts.