VMware Cloud Community
as900w
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What is the difference between Processor and VM Processor in the VM?

I have a VM

I running the Performance Monitor in the VM.

It have two processor.

Processor and VM procesor.

What is the difference between Processor and VM Processor?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For VM processor metrics, look at the 'VM Processor' counter. For the host metrics (core-1 and core-2), check the CPU metrics on the ESXi performance charts, not inside the Windows guest operating system.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you share a screenshot to provide more details about your question?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
as900w
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I want to konw, Why have two processor?

Because, I see two different:

2.PNG

So, I want to konw, What is the difference between Processor and VM Processor?

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If it is a virtual machine, you will see an extra data counter 'VM Processor' in the Windows perfmon data sets. In a physical machine, you will not see this counter. Basically, this should represent the overall statistics for all the processors of the VM put together. For individual processor statistics, you have to check the 'Processor' counter.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
as900w
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

For example,I have two processor ( the Core 1 and the Core 2 ) in a ESXi Server.

I have 4 VM in the ESXi Server.

If 2 VM using the Core 1, 2 VM using the Core 2.

In a VM running on the Core 1, check Processor and VM Processor.

The VM Processor statistics is all VM running Core 1

The Processor statistics is the VM

Do I understand this right?

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello as900w ,

As SupreetK said, the object "VM Processor" it's only in a Virtual Machine (appears when you install VMware Tools).

As my understanding the object "VM Processor"  that has the "% Processor Time" counter is the one which you should use for gather performance on any VM.

The "Processor" object is the one that appears as Default in every Windows Server and if I am not mistaken is the statistics for all the processors + overhead from the ESXi.

There is more information in this link: VM Processor object % Processor Time Counter inquiry

Hence, I will use the "VM Processor" Object and "% Processor Time" counter to monitor the CPU performance on VMs as it is embedded with VMware tools and it's more reliable than the "Processor" object.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For VM processor metrics, look at the 'VM Processor' counter. For the host metrics (core-1 and core-2), check the CPU metrics on the ESXi performance charts, not inside the Windows guest operating system.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
as900w
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I see.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
as900w
Hot Shot