VMware Cloud Community
schousda
Contributor
Contributor

VMRC - Resolution / wrong mouse position

Hello,

whenever i open a VM in VMRC 10.0.3 build-9300449 on my Windows 10 1803 PC i have some problems.

We are using vSphere Client Version 6.5.0.13000

First of all, the resolution of the VM is alwas set to a very low resolution and i have to switch to 1280x800 manually.

The second problem is, that the mouse pointer has the wrong position. The mouse pointer is shown on a different position than the click events happen.

This makes it impossible to work.

Is there any solution for this?

Thanks.

16 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have VMware tools installed inside this VM? If so, is it current to the ESXi host on which it's running?

0 Kudos
schousda
Contributor
Contributor

We have installed VMware tools Version 10.1.7, build-5541682 on our machines.

0 Kudos
RickJSalt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here.  Recently moved to a new machine running Windows 10 and latest revs of Chrome and Firefox.  Running vSphere 5.5 (we'll be upgrading in the next couple months).  Was able to open the console to a machine using the web client before, but no longer.  It's greyed out and so far nothing has worked to enable it.  So I downloaded VMRC and lo!  The machine opens in the window and I start it up, and log in.  But then, the mouse is way off.  Right click and the menu appears to the left and slightly above.  The trouble is that there doesn't appear to be any way to refocus the mouse pointer in the VMRC.  VMWare Tools is  up to date as well.  I've tried invoking VMRC from both Firefox and Chrome but the problem is the same in both.

0 Kudos
RickJSalt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quick update; I have a notebook and a second monitor.  Upon reboot, the VMRC window was on my laptop display.  The mouse pointer is working just fine there.  I've seen this before, and it looks like it might be due to a difference in relative screen resolutions.

0 Kudos
SeaJay74
Contributor
Contributor

This should fix the issue with Mouse Positioning:

1. Within c:\Program Files (x86)\Vmware\ VMware RemoteConsole, Find the vmrc.exe file, right click and select properties
  2. On the Compatibility tab, click “Change high DPI settings”
  3. Select the Override checkbox at the bottom of the screen and set to Application
0 Kudos
SeaJay74
Contributor
Contributor

1. Within c:\Program Files (x86)\Vmware\ VMware RemoteConsole, Find the vmrc.exe file, right click and select properties
  3. Select the Override checkbox at the bottom of the screen and set to Application
RickJSalt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you SeaJay!  That did it for me; your solution works like a charm.

0 Kudos
shareandgain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks a lot SeaJay74, your workaround is remarkable.

We notice that VMRC has the mouse cursor offset issue which occurs when the client PC has multiple monitors and their DPI are different. It's being tracked by one internal ticket.

0 Kudos
esxguide
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that and it doesn't work. There are so many of these threads around the community and the net in general. Is a HUGE problem and the people that are giving solutions almost NEVER have experienced the problem.

In my case, it is not system related, since come VMs work and others don't. All the VMs show up as using the same version of VMware tools. So it's not the tools version (however, in cases where I have reinstalled the tools it does seem to work). If you could get vCenter to automatically reinstall the tools, that would be great, but clicking the install/upgrade vmware tools, simply mounts the drive and leaves you to finish the install. Well, that doesn't help if you can't move the mouse.

Still not fixed....

0 Kudos
shareandgain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi!

VMRC 10.0.6 released! It fixed the wrong mouse position(offset) issue caused by the changing of the DPI configuration.

The workaround is not needed anymore Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Necranom
Contributor
Contributor

For the mouse position part of this problem, if you turn on "Mouse Trails" in the windows mouse settings, this will fix the offset issue.  You can set the trails to short so that they are not as annoying.

This is the only solution I have have found to this issue to date.  Hopefully they will get this fixed in the VMWARE Tools soon.

0 Kudos
jefferyshallbot
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me!

Well kind of the file I needed was different and different location, but you got me to find it.

Here is what I needed to do:

1. Within c:\Program Files\Vmware\ VMware Blast\  Find the VMwareResolutionSet.exe file, right click and select properties
  2. On the Compatibility tab, check the box for “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings”
  3. Click OK
0 Kudos
jefferyshallbot
Contributor
Contributor

This didn't work for me to fix the problem, but it did show me the exact offset my mouse had. There would be the mouse pointer itself and then a second pointer offset from it and that offset one was in the correct position so I could at least see where to put that one to click on things.

0 Kudos
mikebecker
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same problem after migrating to a new Windows 10 laptop.  Everything worked well on old Windows 7 laptop but after migrating to a new Windows 10 laptop, the mouse pointer was way off, making it impossible to work.  MANY thanks to SeaJay74!  This worked using on vSphere 5.5 client against,

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe

0 Kudos
timblaktu
Contributor
Contributor

SeaJay74's solution with Overriding High DPI setting fixed the jumpy mouse for me!

0 Kudos
ArildS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I can confirm what esxguide  says that there is a mouse problem here that must be linked to the VMWare tools.
We have issues with some VMs. The mouse pounter in Remote console is just flying around. You risk clicking the wrong menus. Very dangerous.
If I connect with the web console it works fine.
If I restart the VM it works fine FOR A WHILE and then goes back to the flying behaviour.

The workarounds with setting DPI override for vrmc.exe does not help.

Please update as to the fixing of this issue.
It seems to happen on computers with several monitors and different resolutions and the VM is then 'poisoned' and needs a restart to behave normally again.