VMware {code} Community
geospun
Contributor
Contributor

Should i use VMware vCenter Server 6.5.0d?

I have just rent a dedicated server and my operating system is ESXi 6.5.0d, 64 bits.  have to run 5-6 virtual machines with Windows 10. Should i use VMware vCenter Server 6.5.0d?

21 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Unless you have a very specific reason or use case, you should plan on using 6.5 U2 for both vCenter and ESXi.

0 Kudos
geospun
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE VCENTER SERVER V6 is ok?

I also need the RDMA stuff.

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

VMWARE VCENTER SERVER V6 is ok?

Not to manage an ESXi 6.5 host, no. You need, like I said, the latest revision of vSphere 6.5 in most cases.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Should i use VMware vCenter Server 6.5.0d?

Out of curiosity. You say that you rented a dedicated server. Which ESXi license/edition do you use for it?

If you are running the free Hypervisor edition, there's no use for vCenter Server, as it only works with paid ESXi editions, and also requires a paid license.

André

0 Kudos
geospun
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. 6.5.0. It says it is valid only for 60 days, since its a test key. What do I have to do after 60 days? Is there any free key?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

After 60 days you either license vCenter with a paid key (no free editions) or you let it expire and delete it.

0 Kudos
geospun
Contributor
Contributor

I will buy vsphere. Is that enough?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You need to ensure you purchase an edition that either includes vCenter Server, or purchase it separately. They are often two separate SKUs.

0 Kudos
geospun
Contributor
Contributor

You mean something like that?

Download VMware vSphere Hypervisor for Free

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I don't understand what you mean. You've linked to a page which allows you to get a free key for ESXi only. How is this related to paying for vCenter Server?

0 Kudos
geospun
Contributor
Contributor

So this is a free key of esxi? The hosting company says that after 60 days of test period i have to use the key for esxi.

Where can I download vCenter and vSphere 6.5?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That is a free key for ESXi. Not for vCenter. There is no free key for vCenter. vSphere = vCenter + ESXi. To download vCenter you must have an entitlement in your account.

geospun
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. What do you mean "entitlement in my account"? How do I receive an entitlement?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You buy vCenter. When you purchase vCenter, you are then entitled to download vCenter.

0 Kudos
geospun
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much. When i press "REGISTER" in order to download, I have to fill a form. Then, this message appears and I cannot download it:

"Unable to Complete Your Request

We cannot complete your request at this time. We are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible

In the meantime, you can:....."

That means that I need to buy it?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Like I've said multiple times, if you want to use vCenter long-term you must buy it.

0 Kudos
geospun
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, but I cannot use even the trial my friend.

0 Kudos
geospun
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot download the trial.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

At its most basic,  you can get a free version of ESXi, but vCenter server is a costed peice of software.  however there is another caveat,  if you do buy a copy of vCenter server you will need to purchase a copy of ESXi (NOT THE FREE LICENSE) but one that costs you money.

So

ESXi can be free unless you want to use vCenter to manage it then you need to pay VMware money,

vCenter server always costs money to run after the 60 days are up.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos